Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Dog coats....?

I never had this problem last year as the boy setters babes have lovely thick hair and Remy was a bit younger and hadn't got so set with the old arthritis and Codee was a twinkle in her daddy's eye
But Codee being a Pointer has a short coat and Remy has various health issues and I have been thinking will they need coats for the winter and what ones are best? Do I get a fleecey one, waterproof ones or should I be a hard mummy and let them rough it?
Codee is now 9 weeks, she will be 5 months in December and Remy is 11 next month..... Thoughts please and pictures too... I do like pink on my girls though!!
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Mine have coats from Equafleece. They are absolutely brilliant - don't impede them when they play, really lightweight and surprisingly showerproof. They wash and dry easily too!

And they come in lots of colours - including pink
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 06:45 AM
When I owned Tawny she had a waterproof jacket with a fleece lining to keep her warm when standing around at shows, and just a waterproof one with a thinner lining for general wandering about, as she would have got too hot in it if she was charging about.

I think at Remy's age she would probably benefit from a waterproofed one with a fleece lining, bless her.

I took Tawny to a stand at a show where they measured her for both coats as the pointers have chests like greyhounds and the long, slim necks so normal jackets can be too short around the ribs and too loose on the neck!
Jelly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2009, 08:54 AM
jelly has a tweed one and a waxed one purely becuase i struggle to keep weight on her during winter (she has extra food) and i have no heating at home. the waxed one is made by tcoat (i think) and the tweed i bought at a horse show. she also has a thermatex for fast drying after pond swims
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I can personally recommend Equafleeces. They are the best coats I have ever bought for my dogs and are well worth the money. (Even when Codee grows out of hers you can always keep them for the next newbie! ).

The current ones they have are 2 years old this November and have been worn to death with the weather up here. They are still in great condition and wash up and dry out brilliantly, so much so I'm going to buy them another two at Discover Dogs in November when we're there. I just can't decide which colour and style this time.

Roxy's has the short, front legs and the polo neck, which I must say, looks absolutely fantastic on her! Molly has the tankie which looks equally as fab on here!

I've seen tiny dogs with them on, right up to big dogs such as Weimaraners. They all look great.

So many people have asked me where I got them from and have went on to get their dogs them as well. So, at the park some days there could be up to 8 or 9 dogs al with Equafleeces on in different colours!

If you feel your dogs will benefit from a practical coat on a cold, wet winters day, then go for it, I say.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Couple of pics. Not very good ones, right enough:

Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Ooh I do like those equafleeces I like the purple one!!
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2009, 03:15 PM
I would like to get a coat for Honey (whippet x) but my OH says she got fur she dont need one and he says he wont take her out if she got a coat on. ahhhh poor baby she needs a coat for winter.