Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Id get a dog guard & stick him in the boot (& not use the rear Wiper) With the dog guard he cant jump over the seat. I never hasd mine restrained years , until one new years day firework went off & dog bolted to hide, under neath my legs.....................on the pedals!!!!!
Thanks Mish, i'm currently looking at dog guards on Ebay because despite what other people think i'm not a careless irresponsible person.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Thanks Mish, i'm currently looking at dog guards on Ebay because despite what other people think i'm not a careless irresponsible person.
We don't think you're any of those things, just want you and Monty to be safe
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
You don't seem to realize that by watching him in your wing mirror & laughing he is distracting you & therefore the Road Traffic Act is being broken

You don't need to have an accident, if you brake quickly & your dog is not restrained, he could end up going into the back of a front seat & being seriously injured as well as injuring you.

If you don't give a damn for your own safety fine-but Monty has no choice in the matter
He'd distract me a damn sight more if he was in the boot or a crate howling and flapping around because he was stressed. It's not like i drive around watching him constantly, however i'd be looking at him more if he was stressed.

Of course i give a damn about my safety and Monty's. I'm sorry if i have come across like i don't care but i resent that people are insinuating this because it is simply not true.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:30 PM
He'd distract me a damn sight more if he was in the boot or a crate howling and flapping around because he was stressed. It's not like i drive around watching him constantly, however i'd be looking at him more if he was stressed.

Of course i give a damn about my safety and Monty's. I'm sorry if i have come across like i don't care but i resent that people are insinuating this because it is simply not true.
But this is where training comes in? every dog I've had has resented being in the car at first, especially when 'mum' is at the front and they are restrainted to the back. I remember last summer when I was getting my youngest two used to short car journeys in the boot -- my word, they bounced up and down, barked, howled and generally were incredibly distracting. I literally had to start by driving around the block a couple of times a day - it would have been dangerous to go any further, never mind onto busier roads. EVENTUALLY and slowly they got better (through desensitizing) and after a couple of months they settled down immediately with no fuss. After those few months, they were excellent passengers.

You need to train Monty to behave in the car, then you can safely restrain him without him distracting you.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:36 PM
is he quieter when he sticks his head out? is that why you let him do it.

Youve just got into some bad habits here thats all. Have a good thnk about in a" ideal world" what you would like him to be like, & we can give you some ideas about how to get him like that!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:38 PM
cool beans, have a look on fleamarket on Agility net too, they have alsorts of guards etc on there .

Argos & Halfords do some basic ones!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
But this is where training comes in? every dog I've had has resented being in the car at first, especially when 'mum' is at the front and they are restrainted to the back. I remember last summer when I was getting my youngest two used to short car journeys in the boot -- my word, they bounced up and down, barked, howled and generally were incredibly distracting. I literally had to start by driving around the block a couple of times a day - it would have been dangerous to go any further, never mind onto busier roads. EVENTUALLY and slowly they got better (through desensitizing) and after a couple of months they settled down immediately with no fuss. After those few months, they were excellent passengers.

You need to train Monty to behave in the car, then you can safely restrain
him without him distracting you.
Thanks for your post and advice. He loves the car and travelling and we've never had any issues with him but I guess this is because he is just allowed to have free space.

The issue he has is with small confined spaces which is why I'm not keen on putting him in a crate. I am looking into the guard option though. At the moment I don't have the back seats in my car, they are laid down flat to give Monty more room to lie down and stretch out so my car doesn't have a seperate boot space as such at the moment.

I also have a lot of trouble getting him to jump in and out of the boot and I have trouble lifting him by myself but I'm sure I could rectify this using methods learnt at agility to get him to jump in and out.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:45 PM
i used to have my Dog guard behind my front seats, as i had my back seats dowen (in the ole car days). with a bit of board you can fill in the gap!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Because it is minimal and I don't wish to spend my life thinking I'm going to die or be seriously injured every time I get in my car, I much prefer a more positive spin on life.

For the amount of miles I do annually in my car I consider my risk of being in an
accident minimal. Last year I did 6000 miles and my average journey is probably about 15 miles in length so this also lowers the likelihood of a high speed accident because the majority of my driving is town driving with a maximum of 30mph in most places I drive.

Of course monty wasn't in the car for all of those 6000 miles and his average travelling time in the car to our walking locations is probably only about 10 minutes for an average weekday walk. At weekends we may go further afield.

Taking all this into consideration I still consider my risk of accident to be minimal and therefore minimal risk to myself and my dog and that is why I don't feel he needs to be harnessed into the car.
The risk is minimal, yet you would not travel without your seatbelt, so I guess that minimal risk to you is to high, yet the risk for Monty and anyone else who got involved in your accident is Ok.

Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I have just spoken to my father who is a retired police officer and read him some of this including the above quote.
He said you show a blatent disregard to the safety not only of yourself and your dog but to the safety of other road users and pedestrians. Your insurance could be void in any accident and you could then be facing criminal charges if someone is injured and that someone could be an innocent child.
He only hopes someone reports you before you do cause an accident and he hopes you realise your insurance premiums would then shoot up.
If you don't care about the risk to yourself and Monty then for goodness sake at least give a damn about someone else who could be injured.
Exactly!!!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Esme have you had a look at the pet tube carrier from the roof box company? I'm on my phone right now so can't give a link but it goes along the back seat and attaches to the headrests, the length can also be adjusted to what you want, meaning Monty can have enough space for you to be happy, away from the back window wiper and also be safely restrained, its just a thought anyway.
Page 13 of 49 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »