Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
m935
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-06-2010, 02:18 PM

Need argument settled please

I called the vet they said I can give my dog joint supplements if this is the issue...

My bf thinks my dog is having back leg issues - because when outside she will turn to look at her back leg and then lay on her side and roll around. She always does this in the sun and I think she is just enjoying the warmth (although I can understand why my bf would think this when she looks at her leg first)

She has been biting, licking her back legs AND under her tail for a few days - HOWEVER she is also doing this in other areas as well.

I think she has a skin issue. (ive been trying home remedies and nothing has worked - Im going to pick something up for her today)

She did do the same for the first time last fall and then stopped after about 2 weeks - she had no issues in the winter (which to me if it were joints - wouldnt cold weather make it worse??)

Can anyone tell me if they think this sounds like a skin issue or joint/muscle problem?

She is walking/running fine btw....

Thanks for any help!!
murph
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-06-2010, 03:42 PM
This is NOT how a musculoskeletal problem presents! If it was a joint problem it would be more apparent after runing around
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2010, 03:56 PM
I`m a bit confused - has the vet seen the dog?
If not, I`d recommend a visit.
The symptoms could be anything from allergies to anal glands to arthritis to fleas etc... Really you need a vet to find out exactly what`s going on IMO.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2010, 03:56 PM
I would say it sound like an allergy issue as these present in a dogs skin rahter than sneezing etc in humans.

Our China gets hayfever so nibbles and scratches alot in summer.

We find that half a Piriton (not sure what they are called in America but its chemical name is chlorphenamine maleate) in the morning and half in the afternoon (she weighs approx 2 stone) knocks this on the head.
This combined with hypoallergenic dog food stops her allergies.

Hope that helps.
m935
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-06-2010, 05:47 PM
THANKS!!

I just had her to the vet for 160 dollar blood work for another issue.

Thats why i called the vet about this to see what they thought. Since they thought it was possible joint problems and I think its allergies... I didnt want to take her just yet. I had been out of work for 3 months....

Can I still give her joint supplements anyway? shes 5

thanks!!!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I understand it is difficult because veterinary work is costly. Are there no practices that make allowances for people out of work? In this country we have the PDSA whereby you can give a donation of whatever you can afford if you are on low-income, do you not have something similar available where you live?

I really think it would be best to take her to the vet. If she is biting and licking her legs, tail and other areas and also rolling around, then clearly something is irritating or hurting her.

It may be something simple, such as ticks in which case the solution wouldn't cost much to fix? Ticks are a menace in summer, perhaps it is something like this annoying your dog?

Whatever the cause...something is wrong for her to show these behaviours. I wouldn't waste time trying to treat it yourself, just get some professional help
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2010, 07:26 PM
In the UK a vet would never diagnose or advise without seeing the animal. It must be different in the US.
You could try to rule out allergies by treating for fleas first, then only feeding what you know she will tolerate, then checking her in case of insect or reptile bites or plant stings. I once had a dog who would sit in a red ants nest - silly creature.
Indoors, skin problems can be set off by carpet or floor cleaners - have you used any different ones lately? Have you changed her food at all?
Any treatment depends on what is causing the problem.
If she is biting because of pain it is usually in one area, and the dog usually has other signs - lameness etc.
It`s alway difficult to find causes because often it is a combination of factors. Good luck, anyway.
Sophomore Slump
New Member!
Female 

21-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi,

I don't personally think it sounds like a joint/muscle problem that she's suffering with, although as said above, it could be a number of other things and whilst a trip to the vet might be costly, it really would be the best course of action.

If she does have a skin complaint, different combinations of home remedies could make it worse rather than better.
m935
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Thanks

Ill call my vet tomorrow. I can see this is probably going to keep happening anyway - since it occurred a few months ago.

I havent changed anything (food, cleaners). I think its something outdoors - I live near the woods, but my bf takes her to the bay so theres a lot she could be reacting to.

Her anus seems to be her main focus now- which wasnt the problem 2 days ago.

AND other than a few scabs near her ear (Im assuming from scratching) I dont see anything - no bugs, inflammation etc. She has short hair too. So that has me confused.

thanks again!

PS i also have been itching the last few weeks - with no bugs visible - my skin just itches - maybe its the same thing???
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Has she been wormed? Check the poo for eggs or segments.
Does she smell fishy? If so her anal glands might need emptying or be impacted / infected.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >