Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Are you talking about your own Country or ours, because you seem to know an awful lot about what happens here!"!
I'm going off what she told me and the news articles I've read. The raids are coming up with pit bulls therefore people are breeding pit bulls.

Unless you yourself are involved in dog fighting, you know just as much as I do.

And I do know a lot about pit bulls. We have many of them in our area. Just about every other person I've met as a Pit or pit mix. I have friends who have them and my dog plays with them fairly frequently. In fact, since they're NOT illegal where I live, I know a hell of a lot more about pit bulls than either of you do. I have daily interactions with the breed. You do not.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Oh isn't that just the typical response. "If you love them why don't you have one?" What a stupid question. I also love Newfies, Golden retrievers, and Papillons, but I choose not to have any of those breeds either.

And how can one hate something they've never met? That's just ridiculous.

I don't own one for many reasons, none of which means they should be banned.

(1) I have one dog. I'm not allowed to have more where I live.

(2) I like long-haired dogs. I also wouldn't own a lab or a Greyhound because I prefer my dogs to have a long coat.

(3) I'm a herding dog person. I love the terrier personality but it's not one I'd want to live with. This goes for JRTs, Yorkies, and Pit bulls alike. They're great dogs for someone else to train.

(4) And I'm scared of idiots who hate the breed and will inflict BSL on me. I don't want to suddenly find that the dog I love is illegal and someone is going to come take it away to have it killed. Until people stop being such morons and having knee-jerk reactions to a dog because it "looks tough" I won't own a dog that might fall under BSL. This includes Rottweilers (who I really do love a LOT and would love to own someday), Pit bulls, Staffies, and others.

Where have I said I hate them, show me where ?

Theres a difference between someone saying they don't belong here, to hating them...

So I'm now a moron, an idiot & stupid, well thanks for that.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 01:53 PM
I don't own a pit bull, nor would as they are illegal here, and as, I think it was Jackbox said, the lines in this country are so diluted and usually bred for traits that I would not find desirable (having said that I don't think EVERY pit in this country is dangerous and aggresive)

I have however met Pitbulls and spent time with them and their owners when I spent some time in America and in fact I have two good friends who have owned nothing bit Pitbulls however they respect the dogs and they have not had any problems with them, not even any degree of dog aggression, but then they are experienced owners who researched their dogs and breders thoroughly. In fact it was them who gave me my love of Staffys. My friends Pitbulls have always been great dogs and interact with their family and other dogs extremely well. I know its difficult to base a deep rooted belief on a few experiences but for me that is where my belief starts and from there I have grown to admire the breed. Would I have one? Its a moot point as they are at present illegal
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post

Theres a difference between someone saying they don't belong here, to hating them...

So I'm now a moron, an idiot & stupid, well thanks for that.
I didn't say you were, but you seem to have decided to own the terms.

Your reasons for them not belonging there are completely not based in reality and show an extreme prejudice against a breed you have not even come into contact with. If not hatred, then what is it? You've never even MET a pit bull, have you? Never sat down and petted one, not watched it play with your dog or with its owner? You've not watched their silly antics as they careen about a field chasing each other and wrestling. You've not bent down to one and had your face covered in big kisses. So how can you say "they don't belong here" when you don't even have any contact with the breed? What do you base your assessment of "they don't belong here" on?

1. They're used in fighting and can be dog aggressive. So can all of these breeds, which have been used in dog fighting:

Dogue de Bordeaux
Dogo Argentino
Bull terrier
Staffordshire bull terrier
Tosa Inu
Akita Inu
Presa Canario
American Staffordshire Terrier
Sharpei
Fila Brasileiro
Bulldog
Ca de Bou
Kerry Blue terrier
Irish Staffordshire bull terrier

So why no call to ban all dogs that have dog fighting histories?

2. Suddenly rescues will be inundated with pit bulls from dog fighting rings. Except, as you've pointed out, they're still breeding them. So the chances of this happening are pretty much nil.

Your reasons are ridiculous at best.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:00 PM

You haven't said anywhere that you hate them Nicci

However the law is the law and the pittbull is illegal here and neither is it recognised as a breed here in the UK.Doesn't mean I agree with it,howver it doesn't mean I would want to see them legal here either the pitt and sbt must be the most abused dog on the planet and there are thousands waiting for there forever homes in rescue's up and down the country,so shall we breed even more ?

Yes those that want an extension of there manhoods know exactly where and how to find pittbull types,it's not hard.

Jackbox,I know exactly where you are coming from regarding bitches,I had the experience of two which had grown up togther,slept together,eaten togther,then they did have a go,had both me and my O/H not been there to part them I have no doubt,absolutely no doubt we would have had seriously injured dogs if not dead ones!
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:02 PM
I didn't say you were, but you seem to have decided to own the terms.
I knew what you were getting at!

What do you base your assessment of "they don't belong here" on?
Unfortunately I didn't introduce the law.. They don't belong here, fact.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Unfortunately I didn't introduce the law.. They don't belong here, fact.
No but you defend it. Not all laws are good laws. We once had a law against drinking alcohol. Pretty lousy law. It got repealed.

And I'm glad not everyone agrees with you and that others are trying to get BSL and DDA repealed. Many places are starting to look at the laws and realizing that they simply don't work and are pretty stupid.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:18 PM

And I'm glad not everyone agrees with you and that others are trying to get BSL and DDA repealed. Many places are starting to look at the laws and realizing that they simply don't work and are pretty stupid.
I'm not a fan of BSL or the DDA,however just because we don't like or agree with a kneejerk peice of legislation,it is the LAW whether we like it or not and Nicci is right,pitbulls should not be here in the UK,they are BANNED,ILLEGAL,whether or not we agree is totally irrelavent.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I'm not a fan of BSL or the DDA,however just because we don't like or agree with a kneejerk peice of legislation,it is the LAW whether we like it or not and Nicci is right,pitbulls should not be here in the UK,they are BANNED,ILLEGAL,whether or not we agree is totally irrelavent.
But she doesn't even want the DDA repealed. She doesn't want them there at all. I get that they're illegal and banned (which I find to be totally wrong and completely stupid), but that's not her point. She doesn't want them TO be legal.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post

Jackbox,I know exactly where you are coming from regarding bitches,I had the experience of two which had grown up togther,slept together,eaten togther,then they did have a go,had both me and my O/H not been there to part them I have no doubt,absolutely no doubt we would have had seriously injured dogs if not dead ones!
Been there too Sal as you know, yet we're blamed for not socializing the dogs more...

We've both lived with certain breeds for years, yet know nothing & learned nothing at all from it...Knowledge is a totally different thing to experience as has been said so many times before.

No but you defend it. Not all laws are good laws. We once had a law against drinking alcohol. Pretty lousy law. It got repealed.

But do I? All I have merely pointed out IS PB's are not legal here & an nor do I wish them to be as already been pointed out along with the Stafford they are the most abused dog on the planet - why would I want to see more suffering endured, if, I didn't like the dogs and didn't want to see more abuse
Page 101 of 132 « First < 51 91 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 111 > Last »