Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2006, 08:22 AM

Need some advice on once a day sickness

Hi Guys

Just need a bit of advice if i may on Otis (17 month SBT). Otis is my first ever dog so i probably am quite nieve when it comes to doggy health, but i do try my best.
Since i have had Otis from 8 weeks old, he seems to have suffrered quite a lot with sickness and upset tummy. Everytime we have taken him along to the vets and they have given him an injection for inflamation and antibiotics and just put it down to him having a tummy bug.

The last episode we had was two weeks ago when he kept being sick, so back to the vets we went and he said the same. I did mention to the vet that Otis has a tendancy to eat dog poo- whether it is his own or other dogs. I do try my hardest to stop him, but sometimes i catch him when it is too late. The vet didnt think this was the cause though and said it was probably a bug again or even a bit of heat stroke.

Anyway - all last week Otis was fine. But this week he has some sickness back. But he is only ever sick once a day- either first thing in the morning when i go down to him he has been sick on his bed and then eaten it, or last thing at night. He is completely fine in himself and is still hungry and attentive.

On monday i caught him being sick and he was literally bringing up poo (sorry to be so gross). But wednesday he was sick in the morning and this morning i went down to give him his breakfast and he had been sick and had eaten it. He still wanted his food though.

I am worried about him being sick so often- but not in a continual way, just once a day - can anyone help?

Thanks
Jodie xx
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 08:41 AM
I have known some westies to have this problem, which apparently is normal. I say it is not and to get to the bottom of the problem you are going to have to do some detective work!

Firstly, WATCH your dog. There is no excuse for him eating poo, this is a naural behaviour, but if it is making him sick, then watch him. My pup started this too, the main thing is too not make a fuss over them toileting in the house, the theory is they are trying to hide it from you. Akela started it, but stopped fairly soon. I think it is a puppy thing they try, and then grow out of (if led in the right direction). In the meantime, again, watch him all the time, and if you can't then get a crate so he can't be naughty while not under supervision. Once he is off the poo, monitor him for a few days, and if he is still being sick, look into what you are feeding him. And I mean look into it. Get on the web and find out what is in the food you feed. Bring it back to something bland like cooked chicken breast and rice. THere is lots of info on the exclusion diet on Dogweb, you just have to find it! This means excluding things until you find out what the problem is. Some dogs have problems with dairy, others wheat (like people) but I think if you get him off the poo, he will probably be ok!
Best of Luck.
kiwijan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi Otis

We had (have) the same problem with our jack russell who's had these sick days on and off since we brought him home at 8 weeks. We look him to the vet who said that more than likely it was all the stuff he gets stuck into (i.e. dog and horse poo) and chewing on anything and everything he can get his teeth into! The vet says that its amazing that terriers don't get tummy bugs more often and not to worry about cos he is a perfectly healthy dog. As Otis says the trick is to keep them away from poo or whatever other rubbish they're getting into. Jonah know's he's not supposed to but every now and again grabs the chance of a mouthful!

Good luck!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Does he always bring up poo, also does he usually bring up vomit in the morning?

Is it ever yellowy looking?

If he always does it first thing, and it is sometimes yellowy, it may well be that he has an acid stomach...

The cure is to feed something last thing at night but more importantly, first thing in the morning (ie kind of 7am ish I've found is best).

Just a thought in case you thinkn it may be this
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Hi Otis here we are again with your little ones tummy...I will make couple of observations if I may...

Otis may be getting very hungry and gulping his food down too fast than regurgitating it to eat again..I know this may sound horrid but it is normal, when a number of kennel dogs are fed together this can happen, they gulp the food in order to make sure of getting a share than eat it properly later. So if you don't already do so ,try feeding Otis two small meals and a treat midday so he doesn't get too hungry and gulp his food and to stop his tummy being overloaded. .

Have you ever grumbled at Otis for pooing anywhere, or when caught eating poo? This could make him eat the poo to conceal it from you...never grumble at him, go out with him when he goes to be clean and clear up straight away. If he has eaten other dogs poo this may have given him worms so he might need worming with tablets from the vet not the pet shop.

Sometimes when dogs are sick a lot (I think some have more sensitive tummies than others) the natural balance of the tummy gets upset, maybe Otis is trying to sort this out when he eats the poo, or to compensate for something missing from his diet. Maybe try something like Dorwest herbs keepers mix , you can buy it on the net here click
....also add a little live organic yogurt to his food now and then.

Not sure what you are feeding him, if it is a complete food this does not suit all dogs and he may be better with a good quality meal and meat and some fresh vegetables finely chopped .
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2006, 02:46 PM
he has only ever puked up poo once. usually it is his dried burns regargitated (sp)

he is ok in himself though
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Hi Mini thanks for your reply - i do feel like i always ask the same question on this forum, but it is something i am beginning to worry about for Otis. From the points you made, i have answered below:

Otis may be getting very hungry and gulping his food down too fast than regurgitating it to eat again.. - this seems very true! Otis is always hungry and always scavaging for food!! I feed him burns extra 75g twice per day. I give him the extra after speaking to burns directly saying otis looked skinny.
Now i'm thinking perhaps this food is not enough for him and thats why he is perhaps bringing it up again to eat it - it seems quite likely as it is always before his breakfast, maybe he cant wait any longer?

I never tell Otis offf for pooing anywhere - he never messes in the house - he just seems so hungry when we go out he looks for anything to eat, and is partial to poo! I give him worming tablets from the vets when regually.

I will try the Dorwest herbs Keepers mix and the live yogurt.

Thanks all once again - i really want to get Otis sorted soon as i get married in two weeks and then he will be in kennels for two weeks.
Jodie x
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2006, 07:18 PM
hi my dog had a similar problem to you we had all sorts of tests done from bloods to full barium studies they all came back normal then i discovered the problem by accident my dog was always sick when fed some thing chicken based! i also feed burns but feed the venison or fish and rice,he isnt sick now,this probably isnt the problem with otis but just though i would mention it i do agree though that if he gulps his food this will not help i also feed my do at 12hour intervels ie 7am and 7pm