View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 05:51 AM

Sage (Dobermann) does his bit for the breed (screening for Dilated Cardiomyopathy)

Yesterday, Borderdawn and I took Sage to a Veterinary Cardiologist as part of the screening programme being organised by the Dobermann Breed Council who with a drug company are running a trial to help Dobermanns with Dilated Cardiomyopathy.

Each dog has an ECG and heart scan and if they are found to have evidence of DCM they will be entered on to the trial. The idea is to see if dogs with preclinincal signs will be helped by taking the drug before the disease if fully developed. From our understanding should a dog go on to develope CDM whilst taking part in the study then the drug would be prescrbed free.

Sage was found to be perfectly normal so will no longer be taking part.

If you have a Dobermann why not contact the Dobermann Breed Council and see if you can take part in this screening.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2006, 08:14 AM
A very worth programme I hope the trial will prove of benefit in finding a drug to help those affected with this heart disease.

Pleased to hear that Sage is clear
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks SB we were very pleased. I hope everyone that owns a Dobe realises the severity and very high incidence of this disease within the breed. Heart screening can be done at any time, this cardiologist reccommended every year, so breeders should now make an effort to fall in line. With a bit of co-operation this disease can be radically reduced.
Dawn.