Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twokings
New Member!
Male 

05-03-2009, 04:00 PM

HELLPPP!!! Jack russell

could someone give me some advice about my jack russel.he's 8yrs old and hes names max or should i say (MAD MAX).the story goes'we had 2 JR's and 2 cavaliers now only one JR as our other jr died last .he's good indoors but when i take him over the park and let him off lead he runs over barks at any dog he sees' then runs back.he never attacks them just barks then legs it' but why.is he protecting me.is he over protective.we can walk past another dog when im walking him on lead and he does the same thing' bark bark bark. he never used to do it but hes been doing it now for at least 3 to 4 months.did he wake up one morning and say 2 me in doggish DAD im gonna scare the crap out of every dog i see today and if that dont work im gonna bark at them and scare them off cause im king of the park from now on so dont mess with me.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Is this a new behaviour for him?

If so, can you think of anything that has happened such as other dogs barking at or frightening him?

Any bad experiences?

If you can't think of anything, I'd suggest a vet check because in an adult dog, unless there is a known and obvious reason, a change in behaviour can sometimes be down to a medical reason the owner is not aware of

Wys
x

Ps Welcome
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-03-2009, 05:21 PM
was you dog king of the hill while your other dogs where around....if not, he might feel that way now,and jr,s are confident dogs also,and maybe he did come out to say ,im the king of the hill,confidence found....hummmm good one
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Hi Twokings,

Is your jrt barking at dogs who are off lead or on lead?

My wee jrt guy does this from time to time but only with big dogs passing by quite close who're on a lead generally, and not very often - sheer devilment means nothing by it other than to wind them up and also, only when he has back up ie. my gsd lad in the company Never does it at any other time and this is not a usual occurence, he did it a little more in his younger years when he had two gsds for back up

Could be new found confidence on his part, it could also be sheer devilment as they can be very naughty when the notion takes them, that's if as also suggested - there is no underlying medical cause.
twokings
New Member!
Male 

07-03-2009, 12:18 AM
thanks 4 the advice.he's great with my other 2 cavs.he bowls down 2 them.if i say max off' he gets off the sofa no problem.this is what i dont understand.if my buddies pop round' the first thing he does is lay straight on his back for them to tickle him.the dogs all play nice like dogs do(pulling at their ears or chasing each other around)does he think he's a GSD in a small body...when you say vet check'we have never hurt him and i cant recall any dog hurting him.
twokings
New Member!
Male 

07-03-2009, 12:38 AM
p.s i forgot 2 mention i tried changeing all their food as a friend of mine suggested 2 chicken an rice and the dogs eat the chicken but left the rice as if 2 say (dad u can eat that crap thankyou.so i put them back on pedigree chum and they eat.and it still hasnt changed him.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2009, 08:59 AM
I doubt it has anything to do with diet etc. I would think he`s doing it because he can. It`s lucky he hasn`t met any short-tempered dogs really because this is quite a dangerous thing for a small dog to do.
If he were mine I`d walk him on a line (very long lead) and recall him when he eyeballs other dogs. Use the line to reel him in and reward him for coming back.
twokings
New Member!
Male 

07-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Thankyou.i will try a long line on him to reel him back' but how do i stop him barking at other dogs when im walking along the street' as this is quite embarrasing cause when i say max stoppp! I tell him with a firm voice' but he just carries on barking(bark bark bark bark) as if i dont exist. when the dog passes he stops.....the owner of the other dog looked at me in discrace....
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2009, 11:28 AM
ok hun this sounds so much like my jrt we had 3 jrts and we had to have 1 pts, it was a bout 1wk later when my jrt started to do this, i must tell you he was very attached to the jrt who was pts. we tried every thing to get this sorted went to the vets was no health probs, we longlined still was doing it. then it was about 6mths later a friend of ours had got a jrt we said we would meet up etc and see how they got on, he new our friend and loved them to bits, well off we went to the park, started on lead with them and he was fine so let them off and again fine, we was out for about 2hrs he was a diffrent dog then another dog in to the park and off he went and started to bark, well the ather jrt looked at us just barked once and my jrt just stopped looked at us and came straight back. it was so odd to watch.

well thought nothing of it, but the next day we went out for our normal walk and off he went again barking. but in the afternoon when we went out with my fried and her jrt he did not do it at all and there was about 7days.

spoke to loads of people vets etc, they think he was missing his friend so we spoke to a breeder and arranged to go and see her with him to see how he was explained every thing to her and she was so helpful. Well off we went spent 2hrs there adn he choose his new sole mate and they get on great and the barking has stopped completing.

so if you can hun i would say get another jrt but let your baby help choose.

good luck.
twokings
New Member!
Male 

07-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Thankyou sjpurt.if i phone a dog breeder wont they think im a bit nuts asking if my dog can say hello 2 see if he barks at their dogs.do they charge by the hour.they probly tell me im the one that needs help hehehe...but i do thk you alot for ur support.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >