Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2016, 01:55 AM

Paw Trauma

We just, finally, got rid of a cyst on Willows paw. Then OH says 'She's still licking away, but at the underside now'. Umm thinks I, and had a quick inspection to find a hole.

This hole is quite round, about half a cm in diameter, but looks very deep. I can see fat and muscle tissue. Immediate trip to vet, who sees Willow limping in and says 'Didn't we just fix that?' So she's bandaged up over the weekend with antibiotic tablets. Yesterday we went in for a dressing change and its full of pus and well icky.

The vet is a bit worried, the antibiotics should have prevented an infection, and it can't be stitched closed while it isn't healing. We are waiting for a swab of pus to be cultured to see if a different antibiotic is needed.

I'm worried because it's now four days, and if anything, the hole is bigger and now weeping pus. Willow is unhappy, licking her bandage, limping and whining a lot.

Desperately needing advice, please. Is there a 'wound healing' supplement to kickstart her healing that anyone knows of? Willow has pretty much put herself on crate rest, she goes out to toilet and upstairs to sleep, otherwise she's in her crate.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-07-2016, 08:54 AM
Bathing in salt water will help keep it clean, bread and milk poultice or onion poultice can draw the infection out, google them, simple to make
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2016, 03:23 AM
Hmmm don't have any idea what was that, can you send a picture of your doggy and some close up of that infection. I will ask for my vet and friends to figured out what is that and what the best treatment for that. Try to put some coconut oil to the affected part.