Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lifesgood1970
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2016, 02:36 PM

Golden retriever with cancer given 30-60 days

My 8.5 year old female golden retriever was diagnosed with mediastinal lymphoma last week and given 30-60 days to live. I opted not to do chemotherapy. Se is currently taking 20mg of prednisone 2 times a day for 7 days. After that she will take it once a day for 7 days then every other day. She is uncomfortable, not a lot of energy. But overall in good health. Diagnosis was found when I took her to the vet after losing about 15 lbs over the course of a month or so. She is somewhat out of breath when she hasn't been walking around or moving but no other signs. Appetite is good. Eating human food high in protein. I am wondering if anyone else has similar exeriences with this and what I can expect? My concern is that when she drops down to 1 prednisone a day, the cancer will quickly start spreading quicker.
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Sorry for this problem that you facing right now, poor girl I know it's hard for you this situation hope you find some helpful information and some good advice here!
Lifesgood1970
New Member!
Female 

12-07-2016, 03:21 AM
Bumping thread
PetsAreFamily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2016, 05:46 PM
So sorry to hear about your dog's diagnosis. I know you have decided against chemo, have you asked your vet about the newest treatment for lymphomas called Rituximab? It binds to both cancerous and normal B-lymphocytes, but not to cells of other healthy tissues, making it a very specific form of treatment for cancers (and other disorders) of B-lymphocytes, with limited toxicity to other tissues. My Mom has lymphoma, they gave her this drug and it went into remission, that was almost 2 years ago.

Also, the studies on fucoidan (a substance in certain seaweeds) show that it is particularly effective in lymphoma, it decreases tumor size and is 100% organic and natural. There are fucoidan-rich pet supplements you can find on Google.

Best of luck to you..
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2016, 07:07 PM
I cannot say what to expect for you but here is my story...

My childhood golden retriever had a metastatic lymph node cancer at 6 years old, though I am unsure of the name. It may have been the same as what you said.

Once she was diagnosed (we found a lump on her belly) she went downhill fast. My parents also decided not to do chemotherapy and just comfort measures. They ended up having to put her to sleep because she was suffering.

I am sorry this happened to you as it was very painful for us. The breeders we got her from said her mother had the cancer gene and the did not know it. They did not breed her again.