Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2016, 10:32 PM

Ben

His vets appointment is tomorrow at 9.am. I'm going to go with what the vet guides me with.his condition,well he has good days and bad days,some days he's chirpy with a bit if a spring in his step.other days just laying there.hes drinking alot more now.panting heavily.when he lays down u hear his joints creaking.hes on 100 mg tramadol twice a day,so pretty much out of it alot of the time.
We took him away this weekend,he was in a sulk from the Friday though to the sat.but then perked up.he loves children and met up with 3 lovely kids who we had met before.they are gentle with him they don't hang round him.but scrunch his ears that he loves.makes him sound like he's purring lol.he even tried changing a ball on a swing ball game.but his paw and eye coordination isn't what it used to be.but he is almost 16 now had a good life I hope.
I have a horrible feeling that this may be his last night with us.it just hurts so much to think of him not being with us any more.
He's had so many strokes off me tonight.
Truly hoping the vets can help him for that just bit longer.or am I just being selfish??? Ben has been a member of our family since he was 7 weeks old. Why is it so hard to say good bye.
One part of me says I want to bring him home and see how he goes,the other part says he's tired and he wants his sleep.
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.didnt know where to put it.
Thanks
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-05-2016, 11:07 PM
A lot of us have been where you are tonight. 16 is an amazing age, he has had a good life and is well loved, when it comes down to it the vet can only advise as to his quality of life and likely outcome. It is heartbreaking to see your once frisky puppy age, slow down and be in pain, I think you owe him the dignity of a peaceful end in your arms.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Whatever the outcome at the vets, you know you and your boy have shared wonderful times together. It's so difficult when it comes to the end of their time to know whether you are doing right or wrong - whichever decision you make. Let the vet guide you.

My thoughts are with you xx
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by bens mum View Post
His vets appointment is tomorrow at 9.am. I'm going to go with what the vet guides me with.his condition,well he has good days and bad days,some days he's chirpy with a bit if a spring in his step.other days just laying there.hes drinking alot more now.panting heavily.when he lays down u hear his joints creaking.hes on 100 mg tramadol twice a day,so pretty much out of it alot of the time.
We took him away this weekend,he was in a sulk from the Friday though to the sat.but then perked up.he loves children and met up with 3 lovely kids who we had met before.they are gentle with him they don't hang round him.but scrunch his ears that he loves.makes him sound like he's purring lol.he even tried changing a ball on a swing ball game.but his paw and eye coordination isn't what it used to be.but he is almost 16 now had a good life I hope.
I have a horrible feeling that this may be his last night with us.it just hurts so much to think of him not being with us any more.
He's had so many strokes off me tonight.
Truly hoping the vets can help him for that just bit longer.or am I just being selfish??? Ben has been a member of our family since he was 7 weeks old. Why is it so hard to say good bye.
One part of me says I want to bring him home and see how he goes,the other part says he's tired and he wants his sleep.
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.didnt know where to put it.
Thanks
Hello Ben's Mum, so sorry to hear this but what an age for a large dog to attain. I am sure you have given him a wonderful life and you will find the strength to be there with him at the end, as heart-wrenching as I know this will be.

My personal advice would be to let him take the decision - to let him slip gently away without veterinary intervention, as long as he is not suffering. Only you can be the judge of that ... either way, me and my Ben are sending you both all the love and hugs in the world to see you through this dreadful time xx gnasher and ben xx
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Oh how distressing for you, but you can only do what you feel is best for Ben. I do not envy you having to make a decision. God be with you both.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2016, 07:21 PM
I had to make this decision for my 14 year old GSD last October and it is a heartbreaking thing to have to do, but is a final kindness for our best friends I hope you find the strength to do whatever you think is right for Ben, and try to remember the great life he shared with you.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Took Ben to the vets.she gave through check up.no fluid around his heart,no crackling either. So we have come to an understanding when Bens bad days outnumber his good days then it will be his time.
So happily Ben came home.hes been quite chipper the past few days.still has probs getting up but he's had a few good days where he's happily wandered around on his little walks.theres a safe bit where he can go off lead.just sniff n mooch about.he loves meeting up with puppies and will attempt a little play.and they seem to know just how to play with him.hes got a new friend a Thailand Ridgeback only 1 of 8 in the country and he's mates with him.
But he's still with us for a while longer thankfully.
Many thanks for your kind words.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Thats great news, from your post I really thought he was at the end of the road, he's had a long and good life, and sounds like he's perked up a bit now.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-06-2016, 10:14 PM
Pleased to hear he is back home
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2016, 10:29 PM
O that's wonderful news, Ben's Mum! It sounds like his time is not up yet, God bless him xx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >