Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeagleDad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-06-2009, 11:08 AM

Best way to discipline please?

Hi All, I'm just after some advice on the best way to dscipline Sam our beagle?

Nothing in general, just when she does something we're not happy with really. Steeling some food, ignoring our come or sit etc.

Would like to know the best way of letting her know we're unhappy, bit like the naughty step lol!

Thanks in advance
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Firstly try to prevent her from being able to do the things you want. If she is a food stealer then keep food well out of her way etc.
With regards to the not coming back, sitting etc, then I would suggest simple basic training. If you discipline a dog for not coming back then it wont come back as it will learn that if it does it gets a negative response.
So go back to basics and reinforce her training that she does know. Try to set her up for success rather than failure.
Ignore behaviour you don't want, or remove them from that situation. Time out in another, safe room (with no temptations) for a minute is another way but you have to make sure the dog understands the action applies to the behaviour you don't want.
Hence if you've been out and come home and find the dog has messed in the house and tell it off then it will associate you telling it off with you coming back not with the fact it has messed in the house.
Hope that makes sense.
Becky
BeagleDad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Ok that's helpful, would you send to bed? Or am I guessing that would give her the idea that bed is only when told off?

Thanks
topbarks
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-06-2009, 11:26 AM
If your dog is doing something you dislike, think to yourself What would you like it to do instead? then Train an alternative response which you like instead.
Your dog is not a mind reader, you need to show the dog what you want and create a reward history for that behaviour that maintains it.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't as I want my dog to associate that bed is nice place to be calm and safe. If I remember rightly you are having trouble with her sleeping away from you at night since she was home boarded by someone. If you then used her bed as a 'punishment' then she will take a lot longer to teach to settle again.
Really the best is to ignore bad behaviour and reward that which is good. When she is quiet and settled tell her softly that she is a good girl. Gradually increase the time of saying good girl so she learns the long she is calm the better and so on.
I remember coming home to a room full of sofa. I just sighed and cleared it up. The dogs wouldn't have known why I was angry so no point in being so even if it is a tad irritating!
Becky
BeagleDad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Great advice, makes sense, and yet more learned on here by me! Thanks very much indeed.

God I need to get some 1 on 1 for the family!!!!!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I wouldn't as I want my dog to associate that bed is nice place to be calm and safe. If I remember rightly you are having trouble with her sleeping away from you at night since she was home boarded by someone. If you then used her bed as a 'punishment' then she will take a lot longer to teach to settle again.
Really the best is to ignore bad behaviour and reward that which is good. When she is quiet and settled tell her softly that she is a good girl. Gradually increase the time of saying good girl so she learns the long she is calm the better and so on.
I remember coming home to a room full of sofa. I just sighed and cleared it up. The dogs wouldn't have known why I was angry so no point in being so even if it is a tad irritating!
Becky
great post, tried to give your reppy points but I have to spread them around a bit
Elaine xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Think Becky said it all there.... I was about to say here I don't use discipline like I would with one of my Foster Children, the children know when they have done something as I can explain to them, the dogs don't. Like pinching stuff off the side, that to them is survival instincts, so as Becky says, as your aware this happens put it away from her reach, if you catch her standing up the work surface etc., just say firmly NO OFF thats all I did, and mine soon got the hang of work surfaces are a no no.

Best wishes with her xxxxx
BeagleDad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-06-2009, 12:18 PM
This forum is so good it's almost unbelievable!

Cheers all
BeagleDad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-06-2009, 12:20 PM
By the way Becky, reputation thingy added to. Thanks