View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Ewes spitting (a question for the shepherds)

I have lived in the country and around farm animals all my life but I never knew until this year that sheep spit, Lama and Camels yes but sheep! .

I walk through a large flock of sheep every day with Chloe on her lead and if I startle some of the ewes with lambs they not only paw the ground but spit

Is this a phenomenon applying only to Worcestershire sheep or does it happen elsewhere. I looked up sheep spitting on the net but could find no mention of it.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Will ask my OH for you but I suspect he will say 'yes' it is something they do. It may depend on the breed as well I guess, I know he tells me some are quite how shall I put it....psychotic!!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 01:16 PM
I have never heard of this. I asked hubby too, who has worked with hill sheep for 25 years and he has never heard of it either, certainly not in hill sheep anyway.

You could perhaps be mistaking a snort for a spit? Hill sheep (like deer) will give a snort to warn predators away from lambs, or to warn the rest of the flock that someone/thing is going about.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 02:00 PM
I have asked OH and he has also said he has never been spat at and has never heard of them spitting.

Do you know what breed they are?