Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 01:47 AM

Please put my dog to sleep.

A Hull woman with a dangerous dog cant find anyone to put it to sleep.

A Hull dog owner is desperately seeking a way to have her vicious dog put down.
Melvita Bell, 50, is at her wits end after her attempts to have the out-of-control animal destroyed have hit a brick wall.
The bizarre situation has left Mrs Bell scared to go anywhere in her property where the dog might be and has resorted to keeping Thomas, a three-year-old bull mastiff in the backyard.
The PDSA will only put the dog down if it has a muzzle while dog wardens in the city claim putting the pet down is not in their powers.
As none of the attacks have been reported, the police are also unable to take action while the RSPCA would only get involved if the animal had been maltreated.
Mrs Bell said: "I have tried everything. Thomas has already bitten four people, one seriously.

"I rang the PDSA but they could only put him down if he was muzzled but you can't get near him.
"The vet gave us some pills to sedate him but it had no effect.
"I called the dog warden but he brushed me off.
"He told me to get a vet to visit but that would cost £250 and I'm on benefits."

"The only thing I can do is let him loose or treat him badly to get someone else involved.
"But he is a danger and I don't want to get into trouble.
"I'm really frightened of the dog and have to keep him in the backyard."

The PDSA said it is doing all it can to resolve the situation.
A spokesperson explained: "We understand the dog owner's predicament and we are working with the authorities involved to try and bring about a satisfactory outcome for everyone."
Hull City Council insists it has done what it can to help Mrs Bell.
John Rogers, pest control manager in charge of the wardens, said: "We have helped as much as we can by liaising with a vet who would call to the property to euthanise the dog on site at the owners request, but we do not fund veterinary costs for pets.

"In addition, we did offer to be onsite with the vet and transport the dog's body back to the vet surgery free of charge."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...l/article.html
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Is this still ongoing?

The last I heard, several people including experienced handlers had tried contacting the lady through the newspaper to offer help.

If that's been refused or fallen through, then it makes you wonder.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Is this still ongoing?

The last I heard, several people including experienced handlers had tried contacting the lady through the newspaper to offer help.

If that's been refused or fallen through, then it makes you wonder.
i heard about it tonight the newspaper article is dated a week ago. but if it is still ongoing and people have offered her help it does make you wonder
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Stupid woman!!!! Why get a powerful dog like a Bullmastiff if you are too wishy washy to handle it???? Sorry but people like this give dogs a bad name. Why is Thomas people aggressive in the first place? Four people have been bitten and one young dog will die because someone got a dog that they couldn't manage.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Call in the dog whisperer!!!!!!!!!!! *dodges tomatoes, shoes and all manner of evil*

I would love a bullmastiff. i hope she does not ever get another big powerful dog if any at all and invests in some training classes.

I also hope someone can try to rehabilitate this dog but i doubt it
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 09:14 AM
It seems she expects other people to pick up after her - after all, she`s caused the situation! Poor dog.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 09:35 AM
"Let the dog loose"...fantastic idea, let it loose to maul a small child. People really make me sick.
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-02-2010, 10:11 AM
It's an appalling situation - but why should charities and the local Council have to fork out for the woman's stupidity because she can't afford either training or having the dog destroyed.

If the dog has bitten people badly, I am amazed nobody has made a complaint. If they were injured badly, either the doctor or hospital will have records ro back up her story.

It sounds like the owner needs being PTS more than the dog. Give me a gun and I will do it
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 11:19 AM
another classice example of an idiot owning a dog, I truely feel for that dog,

she must have had money to buy the dog, but she has no money to deal with the dog, my eye.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 12:31 AM
poor dog... i feel for him so much... stupid woman!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >