Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smileyfaces=]
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I don't think I would home on a deaf pup unless I was 100% sure of the owners.

I am off to see a deaf dog this afternoon that is Killing chickens. He is 18months and was born deaf, so far he has killed 2 chickens that are free range on a farm 1 mile away

He has been with his present owners for 6 weeks and the owners he was with preiously had him in a cage 12 hours a day. He has learnt to shadow chase and has a few other OCD's. SO far they ahve got him out of chasing shadows under the door - so I am hopeful - they at least seem willing to work with him which is a good thing, but although they seem to know it wil take time I am not sure they fully comprehend how long.

I like to remain hopeful....

good luck
sounds like he needs some work

be positive
xxx
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
In an ideal world all breeders would be able to 1)keep the pups 2) find the correct home.. but sadly life does not always work like that... and in those instances.. I would not judge the actions of the breeder.

I would suggest that if a breeder isn't able to do 1 or 2 then they should not be breeding.
To me keeping the deaf pup(s) is the same as having to take back any pup or dog they have bred at any point in it's lifetime as is always being talked about on here. If they can't do that, they should not be breeding.

ETA: Even if a deaf pup is harder to train (there appear to be differing opinions on that), doesn't it deserve that chance to life? Any dog can have training issues and things that you have to work on but it wouldn't be acceptable to PTS that dog would it?
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
I purposely adopt deaf dogs, personally I LOVE them. they are so underestimated. Scout my deaf Terrier mix is absolutely AMAZING!!! she knows 47 signs and is learning at an astounding rate, she was 4 when I adopted her and is coming up on her 6th b-day. Scout's demo's can be seen on You Tube just search "Scout's demo on training deaf dogs".

Most deaf puppies can be avoided. doing a genetic test for the mutation gene on Merle colored dogs, if it's present, dont breed. Dalmatians are estimated to have a 30% deaf rate in the United States (unilaterally and bilaterally) the Dalmatian Club of America's code of ethics states that deaf pups should be euthanized.... which is sooo wrong. they aren't doing anything to prevent deaf puppies, just kill them. there is a way to breed deafness out of the dals, but the club isn't willing to do it.

Those of you with deaf dogs, there is a Yahoo group dedicated to deaf dogs (called you guessed it: Deaf Dogs lol) It's a great group and very helpful. there are thousands of members so whatever issue your having with your deafie, some one else has gone through it!

Oh and I might be getting a little deaf Doxie sent to me from Spokane, Washington. that'll be deaf dog #2 in my house!
Totally agree with what you've said. At the end of the day, breeding for a colour is a personal preference and so I feel breeders should be doing something about ridding their breed from deafness, rather than just euthanising defective pups.

Perhaps it would be best for the pups to be PTS? I've never owned and trained a deaf puppy, so I wouldn't know how much they would appear to suffer. I would expect, at the very least, that the breeder has tested his/her stock or is improving their breeding programme by introducing an 'patchy' dog (as Mahooli said), or is improving it in other ways after seeking professional, qualified advice. Otherwise, I think it is unethical to continue breeding from a breed renowned for deafness without doing anything about the problem, and just euthanising the defective pups when they crop up, regardless.

Obviously, not all deaf pups come from breeds which are known for deafness, so again, as I've never owned a deaf pup, I couldn't say whether it's wrong to PTS.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Having had to pts two pups (my first litter) because of infection (the pups were suffering to breathe - middle of the night Vet call-out, as I couldn't watch the babies struggling for breath any longer - was just so awful), I know that I could not pts a pup that was deaf. That pup deserves a chance. Okay, I understand that if there are several deaf pups in a litter, you cannot keep them all yourself but, as a breeder it is your responsibility to do the very best for each and every pup - whether it be getting the dog the necessary training so that it may be able to have an enjoyable life in a home that can accept a dog with difficulties or whether it be putting to sleep a pup that is suffering. Putting a pup to sleep simply because it is deaf, to me, is totally unacceptable. I would never be able to do it, of that I am sure. It broke me up having to have those two little Chi pups pts and they were unwell (had been for over a week) and clearly suffering. It took weeks for me to get over that, even though, I had no choice. The Vet assured me that they were going to die, it was just a case of when. Yet it broke me up to "play God" with two tiny lives. Obviously a breeder that is not going to put the effort in to get the deaf pup trained, in order to place into a suitable home, would probably be best off putting the pup to sleep. I would have to question whether that breeder should be breeding at all though JMO
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
I would suggest that if a breeder isn't able to do 1 or 2 then they should not be breeding.
To me keeping the deaf pup(s) is the same as having to take back any pup or dog they have bred at any point in it's lifetime as is always being talked about on here. If they can't do that, they should not be breeding.

And in an ideal world I would agree with you, but we dont live in that world and sometimes , you need to do what you need to do, a good breeder is one who takes responsibilty for their pups in what ever way they need to ,

ETA: Even if a deaf pup is harder to train (there appear to be differing opinions on that), doesn't it deserve that chance to life? Any dog can have training issues and things that you have to work on but it wouldn't be acceptable to PTS that dog would it?
Ofcause it does, never said otherwise, but I am realistic.. and understand that even the best of breeders for one reason or another may not be to keep a deaf pup... dont forget taking puppies back from owners who have to give them up, will usually result in the breeder finding a new home for them.

It is entirely a different situation than keeping a deaf pup.

And in reality, a deaf pup will be harder to home, and for me (I dont expect others to follow my lead) it is far better to end a life is its only other choice is a life being passed around or in rescue.

Those that find caring homes are the lucky ones... many dont.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Educating people on deaf dogs is a passion of mine and almost a calling.... but deaf dogs do not need to be trained like I have trained mine.... people dont understand that a deaf dog is no hardship, infact I find deafies easier. you can catch them in the act of doing something naughty (head in the trash for example). She only barks when she sees something to bark at, she doesn't imagine she heard something like my other dogs. Scout's recall is better than any hearing dog I've worked with, she is so totally focused on me when I am working with her, no outside distractions. Someone once asked how I trained her focus, for her it was natural, easy to train. I have done 2 demo's with Scout in the last few months, we seem to be reaching people, I go out to petstores with another one of my dogs and get to talking to people, say something about having a deaf dog, and people start telling me about the(my) deaf dog they saw at an event.... lol I laugh. I will tell them that she is mine after they tell me how amazing the deaf dog was and how they would consider adopting a deaf dog. Here is the first demo Scout and I did, at a fundraiser for the local SPCA. This was 14 months after Scout was 2 hours from being euthanized at a pound..... Should she have been destroyed???? would it have been fairer???? Take a look then tell me deaf puppies should be culled!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcHhWPFDFDo

Deaf dogs do not deserve what usually happens to them there are many deaf dogs out there who are doing AMAZING things. Many do agility, Rally-o, flyball, tracking, CGC, Obedience, Therapy Dog, helper dogs, hunting, retrieving, herding, and best of all, they are great pets. Like I said (and I totally agree with you Patch) I prefer deaf dogs, and will always have them!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 03:27 PM
There is a book available specifically about training deaf dogs called Hear Hear. It is a great book and I think everyone should own a copy as it can be used to teach all dogs regardless of their hearing ability!
Becky
Melissa711
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I can understand breeders putting to sleep a deaf puppy as the responsibility is homing it correctly would be huge. As the owner of a deaf dog and I also had a deaf Cat (born deaf) for almost 16rs, I know fully how difficult it can be and the problems it can cause.
WOW! I can't believe anyone still thinks this way. I'm amazed.

If a breeder is going to take the responsibility of bringing puppies into this world, it is their responsibility to find them good homes. I am the owner of a deaf dog who is smarter than any hearing dog I know. Deaf dogs can be trained to do agility, be therapy dogs, etc and are no harder to train than hearing dogs - you just need to use hand signals instead of voice commands. It took my dog 30-seconds to learn the sit command.

The culling of deaf dogs doesn't ensure the quality of the bloodlines, by any means. The parents were the ones who brought the dogs into the world and they still can bring more deaf puppies into the world. All deaf dogs should be spayed and neutered - that I firmly believe.

The culling of deaf dogs because you believe it would be too difficult to rehome them is lazy, irresponsible and cruel. There are plenty of great rescues who work to rehome deaf dogs. The belief that a deaf dog will stay in a rescue for years is unfounded. My dog, along with her littermates (who were all deaf), were all adopted from a rescue within 30 days.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 03:47 PM
My friend has just had a litter of collie pups & two where sadly deaf, she had homes for all the pups but the people who had chosen the deaf ones, pulled out, as my friend had already chosen her puppy, she is now keeping all three

Strangely these are Dark tris, mum was a non white factored tri & dad a Sealight tri , not exessively marked in anyway.

The pesron at the testing said they did have hearing up till about 5wks but the pigment was not settled & moved from the bit it needed to settle on & the hairs died & the pups lost their hearing. This was most noticable with the littlebitch who went from the most forward pup to being abit "special" , she also developed a head tilt, which i guess was as she was losing her hearing, this has now righted itself.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't think they should be culled. Personally I would love a deaf dog one day Maybe it would mean that it is harder to find them homes, but that is the risk you take when you breed... Not a good enough reason to end a life imo.
Page 4 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »