Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 11:53 AM

Do you believe in Valentine's Day.

Or is it just a excuse for Florist's and Card shop's to make money?

I'd like to hear your view's.

I'l start shall I? Personally I think if you love your partner husband, better half etc then 1 day a year to say it isn't enough, and should be said and shown all year round, we don't bother with it and feel not that were stooge's but there are bigger and better thing's we could be spending our money on.Like the kid's for example, or our 12 doggies.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-02-2008, 11:57 AM
I've never bothered with it but I'm not fussed about birthdays, anniveraries or christmas either. I expect my OH to show his appreciation of me everyday not just a couple of times a year. He's very good at buying me flowers on a whim which is lovely.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I've never bothered with it but I'm not fussed about birthdays, anniveraries or christmas either. I expect my OH to show his appreciation of me everyday not just a couple of times a year. He's very good at buying me flowers on a whim which is lovely.
That's good, I only get flower's if it's my birthday or mother's day or when I had the kid's and believe me it's not worth all the aggro of having more for more flower's I love the one's i've got and have done my bit for society thanks.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 12:18 PM
I agree.

However, I do remember it being quite fun (some years, others completely depressing) when I was single
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-02-2008, 12:22 PM
It is a big marketing swizz, if you love someone, show them everyday rarther just one day a year with something as cheap a a card.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Well personally I think Valentines day is a load of commercial cr*p. It's an excuse to get people to spend a load more money than they would have to normally. However saying that, I have still gone out for dinner on Valentines day.

I agree, for a loving couple one day is not enough if it is the only day to show affection. I like to go out for a nice meal at least once a month, and used to go out on the first saturday after pay day, which was good. Although, for women who don't have a good OH, valentines day is a good excuse for them to get a nice meal etc
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I love valentines day an excuse to have a large box of chocolates and a bunch of flowers
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I think in this day and age, when people live quite stressful lives, work, share housework, etc, it can be easy to get into a routine and take each other for granted. For me, V day is for making a nice gesture to show my OH how much I appreciate him by going out for a meal, or whatever. It doesn't mean that I don't TELL him for the rest of the year

However, I have to say that going out somewhere spontaneously is so much more romantic than doing it on Valentine's day just because "you're supposed to". This year, I am making my OH a card by hand - usually the ones in shops are soooo cheesy and never really convey how I feel about him.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 02:54 PM
As a card shop if it werent for xmas and valentines we would close..
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 04:06 PM
We don't 'celebrate' Val day - we don't buy cards/presents for it.
We get each other cards and pressies all year round (plus our anniversary, which was a fortnight ago!).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >