Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh no Tracy, I only have the posh variety here at Helena Mansions! Lol! No seagulls or rooks or any of the more common types like yours! Lol! My lot would soon see them off!! Especially those little robins, right little bossy boots they are! I'm sure they sit there taking notes on who's been feeding too long too, and then they shoo them off!!!

I will see what happens tomorrow, I might have to move the feeders from the side now, I don't want him paying regular visits, it's easy pickings with all the birds that visit there
tweet tweet
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Awww poor Blackbird I would be upset if one of my birds that comes to visit got picked off. I am surprised I haven't seen it happen as we have quite a few sparrow hawks around here due to the nature reserve.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm quite surprised myself Lynn, as this is a very enclosed area at the side of my house, right next to the big hedge and the feeders are sort of half tucket into the hedge (got to think "edge of wood" when placing bird feeders!). I really wouldn't have thought a bird of prey would have wanted to come into such a small enclosed area, I thought they were more for wide open spaces? It was a female blackbird too, I hope she wasn't pregnant, awwww, poor little bird. I bet she had a mate too coz I seem to have the same numbers of each of everything. I'm going to have to do something in the morning when I take the food out there I think.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-01-2008, 08:34 PM
A few years back I had a sparrow hawk come and sit on the hedge outside the house and I went out and took a look as I had never seen one before. He stayed for quite a while and let me take a look he was a beautiful colour I checked him in my bird spotting book.
They are around but never had one that close again.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm going to have to check out the RSPB website and see exactly what this bird was. It was very, very small compared to the falcon I've had in the garden before. It was a dark dirty brown colour and very skinny, dirty looking bird, sort of tall and thin, not big and round like the falcons. I must check out what it was exactly.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Sparrowhawks often use my garden as a cafe and kill pidgeons etc-fascinating to watch!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Well, the bird feeders weren't as busy as normal around the side, but the front table had hundreds of them, word had obviously got around. One thing I did notice though, when some of the greenfinches, and a female blackbird decided to risk the feeders at the side, one of the male blackbirds just sat on the fence sort of "on guard" looking up in the sky and everywhere! So they do realise then don't they if he did that, coz I've never seen them sitting on lookout prior to this. No more birds of prey today though thank goodness.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2