Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 07:36 PM

Import Tax

Just wondering if any DW's have had any experience with import Tax ?

I've just ordered some dog things from the US and I've only just found out I'll probably have to pay import tax on them, (the total was about £50 for the products)

I've done a google search and it turned up nothing Does anyone know where I could find out how much I'll have to pay, if any ?

Cheers
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 07:49 PM
You need to contact Customs & Excise website, it is very useful and well designed, if you can't find the right bit they have a good search facility.

I can only speak for Ireland where the laws - and rates (our VAT is different for a start) - are different so I am not much good for direct advice on US imported goods to the UK!
Malinky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Here you go this should help

Customs & Excise

I've only been charged once for importing stuff (think it was on computer equipment) the parcel was FedEx'd and then I received an invoice from FedEx 1 month after I received the parcel for an additional amount which was for VAT. For books and games I've never been charged anything extra, whether this means my other purchases slipped though the net or were in some way exempt (I've not actually read the page I've linked to yet!) I don't know.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 08:40 PM
This has happened to me a few times. It makes buying stuff at the "cheaper" rate a bit of a non-starter, 'cos by the time you've paid the excise, you're no better off!
nickinpete
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2006, 09:11 PM
I have had this before - now I ask the sender to write the word 'Gift' on the tag on the parcel, haven't had a problem with this.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Getting the sender to write 'Gift' on the customs declaration helps avoid VAT, providing the value of the item is less than £36. Otherwise the standard limit is £18.

The other potential charge is 'Duty', which varies depending on what kind of item it is.

The courier is entitled to add additional charges to cover their costs.
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2006, 10:46 PM
We ordered some things (blades for grinding machines) from the US and had many problems with them. After we received the items we then got a bill for vat and I think import tax from customs which made the items we had ordered more expensive than if we had bought them here. We had been promised by the company they were ordered from that there would be no additional charges. We then got another bill from the company in the US for more of the same thing that we hadn't ordered or received. I would advise be very careful ordering anything from the US unless you are absolutely sure that you are paying exactly what you are told and certain you are getting what you ordered.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2006, 03:26 AM
With VAT, you have to pay it at the "home rate" and there is an assumption that the equivalent has been deducted in the Country where you made the purchase. In my case, I often buy stuff from the UK which isn't available here and anything exported from the UK should be VAT free, but here in Ireland we would have to pay the VAT once it got here. As VAT in Ireland is 21%, it's best to keep quiet and just pay the full UK price including 17.5% VAT!!!!!
Why Europe doesn't have a uniform VAT rate is beyond me
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-05-2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the help peeps

Nuts, I thought that by getting these things in the US it was cheaper, it worked out about £20 cheaper getting it from there, but I suppose by the time I pay VAT and excise it will probably just the same price ! Oh well