View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I can imagine this must have made you worried but honestly, don't, for someone to get their dog in such a state then not bother to reclaim the 7 days they had to, they obviously didn't want the dog then-nevermind now xx
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks everyone. I've passed on your advice and suggestions to Dad and I've photocopied the letter from the DW for Dad to keep with him.

We're taking a few extra precautions, like keeping an eye out for anyone hanging around who shouldn't be, just in case. Dad has started walking a different route, at a different time of day and he now has the DW's letter with him. Might be overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks again.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Hi it must have been worrying for your Dad. Obviously your Dad needs to be extra vigilant at the moment, but I have heard of this happening before, but it was in a park in Reading?. What happened there was some years ago and a local 'druggie' would approach anyone walking 'bully' breeds and claim that the dog was his and that he wanted him back there and then. Some people would hand over money after this man threatened to follow them home and take the dog etc. This 'druggie' in Reading was simply intimidating dog walkers who were then frightened and hand money over, even if they themselves had owned the dog since a puppy!! I think if your Dad had hung around and got into conversation the 'druggie' would have said anything and threatened just to get some money of him for drugs. He may simply have been 'calling your Dad's bluff' and not known the dog at all!
Good luck - make sure your Dad goes on dog walks with a mobile, although hopefully it won't be needed.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Hmmmm - I don't think I would want my dad walking that route again either...

x0x
Suzanne2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Chances are he won't even remember it next day, or where he was when he saw your Dad. If you meet him again, say the police are looking for the ex owner to do him for cruelty. A shame they aren't!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 09:32 AM
I think I would inform the dog warden and the police.
For one thing I would class this as harassment and if the man is a druggie then the police might like to know to keep an eye out for him.
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks everyone. Dad has changed his route, and time of walk; he also now carries his mobile and his 'dog walking' stick, just in case. He's going to stick to more popular walks, where there will be other people about, and not so many bushes for people to lurk in.

We're not in Reading, but it sounds like it could be a commonish scam to try to pull.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Pysces View Post
Thanks everyone. Dad has changed his route, and time of walk; he also now carries his mobile and his 'dog walking' stick, just in case. He's going to stick to more popular walks, where there will be other people about, and not so many bushes for people to lurk in.

We're not in Reading, but it sounds like it could be a commonish scam to try to pull.
Sounds like a good idea

Also, if anyone started asking me about my dog I would tell them to go mind their own business and if they said the dog was there's I'd say ok call the police and I'll prove it's mine.

I think politeness has to go out of the window when you're faced with people who clearly don't deserve the courtesy
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2