View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-02-2012, 03:34 AM

Would you get a dog from the local pound?

Or go further afield?

What if you got a dog from the local pound them somebody local claimed the dog was theirs

I think I would go to an out of town one... what would you do?
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2012, 04:51 AM
I think I'd be more likely to go further afield if I were planning to do this.

To be honest I don't even know where my "local" pound is. I tried Google because I thought it would be a handy thing to know just in case, and I was still unable to turn anything up.

If anyone knows where the nearest pounds to Northwich in Cheshire are, please PM me the details. Thanks.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 05:29 AM
I would go to the local shelter no problems. The law in this area is if the dog is held at the shelter the requisit time and is not claimed (its 72 hours here) then it becomes legal property of the city to do with what it sees fit. When I adopt that dog, it is legally mine.
I got Moxie from a local shelter. I know, I can't believe anyone would leave such a wonderful dog in a shelter either. But it was there loss, my gain! Neither of us have ever looked back.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 05:48 AM
We had a Battersea Dogs Home dog some years ago - he was an absolute delight - so yes, I would happily go back there or to any local shelter for a rescue.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2012, 06:31 AM
When we rescued Willow there was a stipulation that she had to be rehomed at least 30 miles away from the rescue centre.

She had been siezed due to a cruelty case so I always assumed that this was in place to avoid the new owner (me ) from running into her previous owners.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 06:50 AM
I would go to a local pound if I was looking for a rescue dog.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 07:29 AM
After seeing the 2 BC's yesterday I've changed my mind and yes I would but only a youngster I think

With a rescue centre they get assessed and hopefully have a bit of background.

The pound I visited yesterday they just let you take them and with kids about I don't think I could take the chance on an older dog Which is really sad but they make up such a huge part of my life and after owning a nightmare dog and the impact he made on my life I'm not sure I could do it again.

I'm not bothered really about distance, I'd make sure all the dogs documents were registered to me and register it immediadtley to the vets so if any dispute arose I could provided receipts/dates etc
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Only one of my rescues has been a stray (rather than unwanted or cruelty case). In his case they asked us where we lived before confirming we could have him; they told us they try to avoid rehoming strays close to the area where they were found as it reduces the chances of problems e.g. bumping into the old owner or even the dog recognising the area and going 'home' to its former home.

Not that where a stray is found is always an indication of where they were from, but it does seem a reasonably sensible policy to me. Then again, I would hate for a dog to have to stay in shelter a lot longer because a home was turned down for that reason.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 08:02 AM
I would adopt from one of the stray kennels we have, but not from our local RSPCA branch.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Raz and Prince are from the local RSPCA and were kennelled just up the road, so yes. Laddie was from a local Rescue as well. I`ve never had a problem with it. I have known their recent histories, which has been quite helpful actually. Dogs from further afield arrived `blind` as it were.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >