View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=MississippiRick;2218182]It's not impossible to not let them meet. This is where the leash comes into play..No one should be out walking around in an area where there are dogs running loose, and have yours loose also. Leash it up!!!!!!!!!!...
QUOTE]

Sorry but I disagree. My dog is perfectly fine off leash with other dogs and people around and I am sure many other people's dogs are as well.. She is under control and is perfectly safe with other people and dogs. I think it is up to individuals to look at what is going on around them, observe and assess and act appropriately. I will leash her if I feel it is necessary, but will not automatically keep my dog on a leash when there other people and dogs around.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 10:27 AM
It's not impossible to not let them meet. This is where the leash comes into play.
How does the leash stop them meeting? I suppose I could whack the approaching dog with the loose end of the leash but my dog simply being on leash doesn't stop them.

I got Dex he was 13 months and clearly not used to mixing a lot with other dogs. As a result, he finds it really hard to read other dogs and cannot discriminate between friendly and unfriendly dogs
We've got a similar problem here. Rupert just doesn't speak Dog very well.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 11:27 AM
That bloke looks like Ed Frawley. If it is him, he spews a load of old rubbish in pretty much everything he says.

Thankfully people who have such extreme attitudes (never letting a dog socialize, pepper spraying any dog that comes near, etc.) towards normal dog behaviour are few and far between in this country.

By all means take a defensive attitude if an AGGRESSIVE dog approaches you and your puppy. But if a dog that is quite obviously not aggressive comes near, hitting the dog over the head with a stick or spraying pepper spray in it's face is utter lunacy. Imagine if that was considered acceptable over here? I would be hitting and pepper spraying dogs every day...I'm sure that would go down really well in the local dog walking community!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by MississippiRick View Post
I have no idea or knowledge about Leerburg and E Collars, that has nothing to do with this video...Don't get off on the wrong track.

I'm not getting off track at all - because my point is that IF the man in the clip YOU are telling us to listen to is a man who uses e collars, then frankly for me that discredits him somewhat.

So my point is relevant.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 01:37 PM
It's not impossible to not let them meet. This is where the leash comes into play..No one should be out walking around in an area where there are dogs running loose, and have yours loose also. Leash it up!!!!!!!!!!...
You seem to show a distinct lack of reality. I can leash my dog up but others may appear who are unleashed. Unleashed dog is likely to meet my dog whether or not she's leashed.

And you can't just walk in areas where all dogs are on leash. Dogs escape and run off sometimes. I've seen dogs off leash on busy streets in neighborhood parks, etc. and often these are dogs who have escaped the house and ran off and someone was not fast enough to keep up with them. So please, tell me how I'm supposed to NOT let those dogs meet my dog. Tell me how I'm supposed to find an area that is 100% guaranteed to NOT have any other dogs around who are off leash.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Summary of useful bit of Video:

Be careful when first introducing your new puppy to other dogs - don't let them randomly walk up to dogs you don't know anything about.

Next
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Sorry but I disagree. My dog is perfectly fine off leash with other dogs and people around and I am sure many other people's dogs are as well.. She is under control and is perfectly safe with other people and dogs. I think it is up to individuals to look at what is going on around them, observe and assess and act appropriately. I will leash her if I feel it is necessary, but will not automatically keep my dog on a leash when there other people and dogs around.
I agree with this. Dahlia is great off leash and we meet many OTHER great off leash dogs. We usually will leash her up if we see someone coming (and they do the same) but then will ask if their dog is friendly with dogs. If everyone is friendly, we take them back off leash and let them have a good run around. It helps make for some VERY tired doggies!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 07:28 PM
It's not impossible to not let them meet. This is where the leash comes into play..No one should be out walking around in an area where there are dogs running loose, and have yours loose also. Leash it up!!!!!!!!!!...

If you will read the beginning of the thread when I posted that video, it was not meant as a warning to all of you. It was posted for the smart ass that told the lady he would damn well have his dog off the leash it he wanted. It was more or less to tell him, "fine, you do what you want to, and then you will run into a guy like this someday who really does not give two cents how you cannot take care of your dog, and how he handles it if the situation gets out of hand"
You might have your dog on the leash but that DOES NOT stop an off-leash dog charging up.......it means your dog has less room to move and more likely to use fight rather than flight! (been in that position)
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
How does the leash stop them meeting? I suppose I could whack the approaching dog with the loose end of the leash but my dog simply being on leash doesn't stop them.

We've got a similar problem here. Rupert just doesn't speak Dog very well.
and that can work against you too - been there too some dogs will get all the more wound up.....when that happened had to hit a LOT harder and use voice/body language - not easy controlling someone ELSES DA dog (thats off leash) and your own...I now have mine off lead for this reason and it is a heck of a lot easier and manageable so far.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 08:09 PM
and that can work against you too
Oh I know it can, I've also been there. I'm just trying to figure out ways one dog being leashed might prevent others approaching. A smack in the face with a leash might make a friendly or neutral dog back off or it could backfire and make it attack. Hardly likely to stop a dog that's truly looking for a fight though.

It was much easier to deal with aggressive dogs around Wolf to be honest. I could put him in a stay and not have to deal with him attempting to bite the other dog while trying to stop the other dog from biting him. If we run into an aggressive loose dog with Rupert I end up scratched and bruised because he's trying to get at the dog I'm trying to keep away.
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >