Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 06:57 AM

A wee problem!

Tilly's started weeing herself when people come into the house. Not the usual family members, only people that come occasionally.
She does the same thing she does when family come in - which is waggy tail then roll over into submissive state then, if it's not family she wees! I'm managing to let the people in then having to immediatley urge Tilly outside for a wee - not always on time.
Logic tells me to tell people to ignore her at first while I let her out. Is this the right thing to do? Though sometimes she wees in excitement before they even pay her any attention.
Any other tips please?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Hi Suzie remind me how old is Tilly now?

You are right about the ignoring. If you are expecting visitors try taking Tilly out to relieve herself so she is 'empty' when they arrive, asking them to ignore her until she has had time to adjust to their presence.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Suzie remind me how old is Tilly now?

You are right about the ignoring. If you are expecting visitors try taking Tilly out to relieve herself so she is 'empty' when they arrive, asking them to ignore her until she has had time to adjust to their presence.
Thanks Mini - she's nearly 6 months now.
She hasn't always done it - just lately, (last 3 weeks) quite often when my ex hub comes over - though he always makes a fuss of her. On Sunday we had our RSPCA home visit to check she's settling in etc.. anyway she was early & as I was explaining "Just a minute whilst I let Tilly out as she sometimes wees when people come in" too late she'd started weeing. Though she did stop when I encouraged her out and finished the wee out there.

She has good control otherwise, never any other accidents - even in the morning when I get up & let her out she will play with the cat or stalk the pigeons before she goes.

Oh and sometimes she does do it when other dogs approach her - mainly the big more boisterous ones (but not frequently)
Meg
Supervisor

21-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi Suzie the reason I mentioned age is dogs go through various stages of development. When a new behaviour suddenly occurs it can be related to age.
I don't know if Tilly is spayed, if not she may be coming in season, this can make some bitches behave differently and become more clingy and shy.

Also at around six months, the start of adolescence, there is the beginning of something called the Second Fear Imprint Period (6 - 14 Months) sometimes called adolescent shyness when puppies can suddenly become afraid of unfamiliar people or circumstances. If this happens it is best not to try to force the puppy to accept a scary situation, but not to sympathise either. Best to ignore the scary thing and your puppy should get over the stage soon
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi Suzie the reason I mentioned age is dogs go through various stages of development. When a new behaviour suddenly occurs it can be related to age.
I don't know if Tilly is spayed, if not she may be coming in season, this can make some bitches behave differently and become more clingy and shy.

Also at around six months, the start of adolescence, there is the beginning of something called the Second Fear Imprint Period (6 - 14 Months) sometimes called adolescent shyness when puppies can suddenly become afraid of unfamiliar people or circumstances. If this happens it is best not to try to force the puppy to accept a scary situation, but not to sympathise either. Best to ignore the scary thing and your puppy should get over the stage soon
That's interesting - We decided not to get her spayed until after her first season - so I am watching for signs. She is a bit grumpy lately & doesn't like her rear being touched.
She barks & growls at the window sometimes & I go & have a look & stroke her - usually ok - but the other day she snapped me with no warning & drew blood. It did seem a one off but I know one offs can lead to another.
Meg
Supervisor

21-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
That's interesting - We decided not to get her spayed until after her first season - so I am watching for signs. She is a bit grumpy lately & doesn't like her rear being touched. She barks & growls at the window sometimes & I go & have a look & stroke her - usually ok - but the other day she snapped me with no warning & drew blood. It did seem a one off but I know one offs can lead to another.
Suzie if she doesn't like her rear being touched there may be a reason for this. Perhaps her anal glands are full and painful. Any sign of discomfort/sudden change in behaviour should not be ignored, pain can make a dog snappy. If in doubt have a vet check.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Suzie if she doesn't like her rear being touched there may be a reason for this. Perhaps her anal glands are full and painful. Any sign of discomfort/sudden change in behaviour should not be ignored, pain can make a dog snappy. If in doubt have a vet check.
yes I would defo get her checked if I thought she was in discomfort - but it's not all the time, sometimes she's quite happy to be stroked/petted all over including her rump - so I presumed it was just a moody thing. But will keep an eye on things.