register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Would you keep your dog outdoors?
Yes - if it had a kennel and the garden was secure (and was accessible to the dog at all times) 29 11.33%
Yes - same as above but with heated kennel 10 3.91%
Yes - same as above but with an extra large heated kennel 12 4.69%
Yes - same as above but only if the dog had access to come indoors if it wanted to. 43 16.80%
No 142 55.47%
Other - please specifiy 20 7.81%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Voted No, I don't agree with keeping dogs locked up in kennels. I have no problem with dogs living outside if it's their choice, providing they have constant access to come indoors should they wish.

My prefernce is to have a pet flap so the dogs can come and go as they please.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-06-2007, 04:43 PM
I went for "other", because there are times when having my two outside would be an advantage (they make too much noise when we have visitors ), but they were taken on to be friends and companions, not animated garden gnomes!

Being barn-born Border Collies, the outdoor life should not cause them any undue harm, but they have been very spoiled since they came here and would think they were being abandoned if they had to stay out all the time!

Kali's Dad used to sleep out in the snow, even when he'd reached the age of 14: if he was put in the barn, he used to break out and dig himself a new hole! Kali, though, will wedge his claws into the draught excluder if he even thinks he'll be asked to go outside to see the snow!

Snorri
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 04:43 PM
I voted no as my dogs are purely pets.

I'm not against keeping dogs outside though, and it is fully understandable if they are for breeding or working, so long as the conditions and security are right.

I also don't think I'd ever keep my dogs outside if I had lots. If I couldn't cope with them inside I wouldn't get anymore as they would still be pets.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by juliekelham View Post
and i believe there no worse off than any pampered house dog,probably healthier.[and no i dont use any form of heating in my kennels].
Erm, speaking purely as one member to another, you might like to consider...rephrasing...those rather inflamatory and frankly generally insulting comments. Just a thought...
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Erm, speaking purely as one member to another, you might like to consider...rephrasing...those rather inflamatory and frankly generally insulting comments. Just a thought...
sorry shouldnt have used the word pamperd,and certaily havent ment to insult anybody,but i do belive dogs are healthier living out.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 05:08 PM
im also not insulted by people who think keeping dogs out in kennels and runs is wrong,its all a matter of choice.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Comfort - will the dog be comfortable? Long haired dogs will probably be more suited to outdoor life although shorter haired ones with heating may be fine.
Good point! I know sometimes when it is hot my dog prefers to go outside but this is usually during the day/evening and he usually wants to come in when it gets late. If I thought otherwise I would have a re-think.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by juliekelham View Post
sorry shouldnt have used the word pamperd,and certaily havent ment to insult anybody,but i do belive dogs are healthier living out.
Thank you for responding, that reads much less harshly :smt001
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2007, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't because I like them in the house with me but I have no problem with other people keeping theirs outside if it suits them, people and dogs that is :smt001 . I only feel dog need to have all the attention they need to be happy beyond that people can house them wherever their welfare needs are adequately met.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-06-2007, 07:15 PM
No
If the security, heating etc was in place and the dogs choose to be out then fine, providing they have access.
Mine would be happy outside, and often lay out there all weathers with no shelter, but i like to know they are locked up safe and sound at night.
Plus like mo said, i don't really understand why get a dog if you have no intereaction with it.
Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »