Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Hamster cage..

This popped up on Dogsey - the advert stream thing.

I like it but I don't like the cage floor - the wire bit.. if it was solid it would be perfect.

http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_serv...FY0OfAod33f22w
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I noticed it the other day and was not impressed. Obscenely expensive and very small. I can imagine a hamster would struggle with the vertical tube as well, plus the wire floor as you mentioned. Yet another small animal cage that is designed more for the owner than the animal itself.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2011, 09:01 PM
it's tiny!!
Way too small for a hamster (unless its bigger than it looks - I didnt read the spec)
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Hmm thinking about it now - you're right it is a little small.. If it was bigger it would be better..
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Too small, wire floors, pathetic price = they can get stuffed!! Just because it looks 'pretty' ? They havent thought about the animals welfare AT ALL.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Personally I think it looks pretty nifty. Its not all wire flooring and from my experience of having wire sided cages many of them are probably just as small if not smaller and the hamster spends more time climbing and chewing the sides and roof than walking on the flat & through choice. My last hammy had a tank with levels coz I couldn't stand the sound of gnawing on the metal. Agree about the price though!

Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
I noticed it the other day and was not impressed. Obscenely expensive and very small. I can imagine a hamster would struggle with the vertical tube as well, plus the wire floor as you mentioned. Yet another small animal cage that is designed more for the owner than the animal itself.
I personally don't think the vertical tube would be an issue, its the same principle as a rota stack (which often have many vertical tubes) and many hamsters manage fine in those mine did.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Personally I think it looks pretty nifty. Its not all wire flooring and from my experience of having wire sided cages many of them are probably just as small if not smaller and the hamster spends more time climbing and chewing the sides and roof than walking on the flat & through choice. My last hammy had a tank with levels coz I couldn't stand the sound of gnawing on the metal. Agree about the price though!
Sadly true, but I don't think that makes it ok. Most hamster/small rodent cages are too small but decent ones do exist. I have no issue with tanks, as long as they're big enough. The Qube does look pretty nice but that's not much use for the hamster. There are far better and larger cages out there for much less money.

Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
I personally don't think the vertical tube would be an issue, its the same principle as a rota stack (which often have many vertical tubes) and many hamsters manage fine in those mine did.
You could be right, I've never used Rotastak and tbh I don't think they make good hamster homes either.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Sadly true, but I don't think that makes it ok. Most hamster/small rodent cages are too small but decent ones do exist. I have no issue with tanks, as long as they're big enough. The Qube does look pretty nice but that's not much use for the hamster. There are far better and larger cages out there for much less money.

You could be right, I've never used Rotastak and tbh I don't think they make good hamster homes either.
I used some tubes for my ham, he had a Ferplast Criceti 15 which was RSPCA recommended size for a syrian and I loved it. I was able to add many levels, toys and alter it often. Mind you, the lucky sod got free range time too!

If you want a decent cage for an animal, you really have to search online. It infuriates me that most petshops sell cages that aren't big enough to be a hamster toilet
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2011, 10:56 PM
My hamsters had a Duna (rabbit) cage, with a 14" wheel.. it was huge!
The gerbils had a 3ft fish tank..
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Yes, rabbit/guinea pig cages make excellent hamster cages! (the plastic ones of course, unless you rewired one of the wired ones).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >