Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:15 PM

What would you do??? Guinea Pigs.

Ok just a quick question. Up until 2 weeks ago I had 2 6yr old guinea pigs. Sadly, the one of them passed away. I didn't really want anymore guinea pigs, although they are no trouble and I don't mind them just thought the pet numbers in the house were high and needed reducing!

The guinea pig left behind tho is pining terribly and looks really miserable. I hate to see her like this. She is a very sociable little piggy and has previously lived with up to 6 others.

So the question is......as she is old do I have her pts or do I bite the bullet and get 2 more rescues to keep her company in her old age????
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:17 PM
i think i would get her a couple of friends, little piggys like their friends...

i miss my piggies
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Guinea pigs dont take kindly to new piggies especially after so long with the same one. males especially should not be replaced as they will fight. at that age, it would be better to leave alone. i have a male piggie that lost his brother last year and although he squeaks like mad when he see's us, if we introduce him to my others, he tries to beat ten barrels of c**p out of them!! although they may look sad, sometimes its just us giving them human emotions. Animals are amazing at adapting and im sure in time, you will notice that yours has dealt with the loss and moved on much easier than we do. But feel free to rescue a few more. There are so many poor piggies without a home. All three of mine are rescues and i wouldnt be without them!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Normally I would agree about piggies not liking new ones that much but this one has accepted quite a few different piggies and is quite a chilled out little girly but obviously doesn't have too much longer left. I have had piggies for 27yrs and have never seen one apparently grieve for so long. I would need to get 2 new ones of similar age otherwise I will be facing the same problem again in the near future.

Best start dropping hints to my OH then, he will be over the moon I'm sure
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i think i would get her a couple of friends, little piggys like their friends...

i miss my piggies
You can always find a corner for a few piggies
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Normally I would agree about piggies not liking new ones that much but this one has accepted quite a few different piggies and is quite a chilled out little girly but obviously doesn't have too much longer left. I have had piggies for 27yrs and have never seen one apparently grieve for so long. I would need to get 2 new ones of similar age otherwise I will be facing the same problem again in the near future.

Best start dropping hints to my OH then, he will be over the moon I'm sure
If your piigie is accepting of new ones, then maybe a couple of very young ones would be a good idea. It may bring out her maternal side if they're very young and wont be a threat to here. All you can do is try!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:53 PM
i would get an older rescue to keep her company
ATD x
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
You can always find a corner for a few piggies
oh i wish, but we have loads of foxes in our garden and Bruno would probably terrorise them too. Not to mention my wee boy !!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
i would get an older rescue to keep her company
ATD x
I was thinking that first but the local rescues only seem to have them under 2 I'm not sure where else I could look really. I may email them and see if they know of any.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
If your piigie is accepting of new ones, then maybe a couple of very young ones would be a good idea. It may bring out her maternal side if they're very young and wont be a threat to here. All you can do is try!
Well my theory is if she doesn't accept them then they have each other and I tried for her so I won't feel so bad!

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
oh i wish, but we have loads of foxes in our garden and Bruno would probably terrorise them too. Not to mention my wee boy !!
Well I can see how that may be a little difficult But then guinea pigs do make good pets for small people but maybe not Bruno and foxes
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »