Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Low Salt Diet... Struggling!!

Ok, well, i most probably have something called menieres. It hasn't been "officially" diagnosed as that can take about a year as its a degenerative thing but dr said its most likely that, like 98% sure.

Anyway, there is no treatment for it. It is something to do with pressure in the inner ear and was probably triggered by a burst eardrum i had several years ago. It gives me unpleasant side effects like severe bouts of vertigo, really irritating ringing in my ears, that horrible feeling when you have water in your ears, and most recently, balance problems. Oh, and it could also leave me deaf

Anyway, as i said, no treatment. But, there has been suggestions that cutting out salt from the diet as much as possible may help, or slow down the symptoms!! So, i've switched to the low sodium salt right away. And i have been bullied into cooking everything from scratch - no more jars, tins and ready meals But i am the worlds worst cook and everything i make just tastes bland, minging!

So anyone got any ideas of a salty substitute? Or, even better, some SIMPLE recipe ideas that are SIMPLE and Cheap! And dont need tonnes of complicated ingredients... My limit so far is pasta and couscous... with chicken

Ta
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 03:03 PM
What kind of stuff do you eat now?

How about chilli, bolognese, curries etc?

They can be cooked in huge batches, frozen in portion sizes and defrosted and eaten like ready meals!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Ok, well, i most probably have something called menieres. It hasn't been "officially" diagnosed as that can take about a year as its a degenerative thing but dr said its most likely that, like 98% sure.

Anyway, there is no treatment for it. It is something to do with pressure in the inner ear and was probably triggered by a burst eardrum i had several years ago. It gives me unpleasant side effects like severe bouts of vertigo, really irritating ringing in my ears, that horrible feeling when you have water in your ears, and most recently, balance problems. Oh, and it could also leave me deaf

Anyway, as i said, no treatment. But, there has been suggestions that cutting out salt from the diet as much as possible may help, or slow down the symptoms!! So, i've switched to the low sodium salt right away. And i have been bullied into cooking everything from scratch - no more jars, tins and ready meals But i am the worlds worst cook and everything i make just tastes bland, minging!

So anyone got any ideas of a salty substitute? Or, even better, some SIMPLE recipe ideas that are SIMPLE and Cheap! And dont need tonnes of complicated ingredients... My limit so far is pasta and couscous... with chicken

Ta
Welcome to my world! Although I didn't get what I have via menieres and I'm only deaf in one ear, but I know exactly how you feel.

Have you considered using Lo Salt instead of normal salt? Not sure if this would help some way, we've used it for many years (my Dad has hypertension) and I honestly can't tell the difference. Although I don't generally use salt so that's maybe why? Not a lot of help, am I?!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 12:01 AM
I don't use salt period, but I do love freshly ground black black pepper which I put in 99% of of my main meals I even like it with Balsamic Vinegar & Strawberries !
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Meniers 'syndrome' is something I've been told about but have never been diagnosed with.

I'm just about resigned to the fact that I'll never get a diagnosis but having had god knows how many tests it seems to me that the leaflets at the clinics make more sense than the consultations.

Vestibular tests (apart from making me vomit) hint at it but my test dates always coincide with my good spells.