View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2006, 05:42 PM

Any one know of any german shepherd x malamutes?

Hi everyone, does any one know of any german shepherd x malamutes? as we were out walking earlier and see a lady with an alsation x malamute pup, who was well gorgeous and my mum has fallen in love, bearing in mind b4 that we were at a rescue looking for a GSD. So if anyone knows can you let me know please, Kodi wants another friend.
Thanks Angela
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:05 PM
It will be very important that the temperaments of both sides of the parents is second to none, you do not want the shy type GSD temperament in the body of an Malamute. Mind you I do not understand why anyone would cross breed good examples of any breed so may be not such a good idea. The nearest thing you will find readily available are the Northern Intuits, also cross breeds but they have been working on it for a number of years and the results should by now be reliable.

EDIT to say there is also the Utonagan another GSD/Malamute/Siberian type cross
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Please be careful....as I am sue you are aware GSD can suffer from bad hips and I doubt that anyone who breeds these crosses(deliberately or not) would have hip scored either dog.
You also should be aware that just because the pup you saw loooked as it did the chances of another one looking like that are small.....with a first cross its a lottery as to which genes it will inherit from which parent.This is the same for the genes which decide temperament and since I believe mals can be dominant and not good off lead is this a chance ou are willing to take?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Look on The Utonagan Society Website and Northern Inuit Dog Website - both these breeds have been bred for a while now and have health checks/breeding practices in place.
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Yeah i know that it may not be as nice but 1 we would look at the pups first to see how they look, and see both parents if possible. 2 i have a husky who is very strong willed and cant go off lead 3 my dad is retired and my mum works part time (it will be there dog) so have loads of time for training etc 4 we have owned GSD's as well as many other breeds my dad having dogs since he was 8 5 my old boy was a cross and was better health and temperament then any pedigree we have ever had. i am an animal care student of 22 had dogs since born and have done behaviour. so we feel that we can all cope with the challenge (hopefully)

Thanks for info
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:25 PM
I met someone locally with a GSD/husky cross and he was a beautiful dog. Much calmer than my madlad.

Can you come and tame my Loki?

I don't think he is typical of the Utonagan - Nadia has two that are PAT dogs. Must be my influence
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:47 PM
The NI website is down at the mo cos they're in the middle of reworking the whole site (so excited!), but they do have a message board. If you want the address pm me your email address and I'll send you it! NIs/Utes are fab breeds but not for the faint hearted, sounds like you know what you're doing though owning a Sibe and all!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Think if the temperament is that of a well adjusted GSD there will be a biddable dog but if they have the spitz temperament that is a different story altogether. I do know, I went from GSD to Spitz and there is no comparison when it comes to dealing with and training them, training, who am I kidding.
Footybird11
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:51 PM
lol, thats the thing im fine with other dogs and with past dogs and any other animal but my sibe is in a world of her own lol, she can be as good as gold then when she has a funny 5 minutes theres no stopping her lol
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:54 PM
There was a litter of GSD X Malamute puppies for sale for about £700 Firstly, that seemed like a LOT of money for any crossbreed and they said nothing about health checks or temperments of parents just 'ready now' so as other people have said, be really careful! I think a lot of people cross breeds like this to get interesting looking puppies without any thought of how to do it properly or what problems the puppies could have..

I do love the Northern Inuits though - They look like nice dogs!
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »