Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
If you havent signed already please please sign the petition & share. If we get 200,000 signature we may get another debate, ive heard that if we get 250,000 an MPs vote would be legally binding this time.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38257

thank you.
Hi Are you in Wales,we have been told that they are not going to cull them,but try vaccine,not sure how that is going to work,in the seventies they were using cianide,and we did stop some of them and saved some setts.It just annoys me nothing has been proven,badgers even build there own latrine,and secretworld has been monitoring badgers very few carry tb from the studies over a number of years.Lets hope that soon people will find out the truth and stop prosecuting this poor creature crystalgirl
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
lol Not sure Gnasher. Could you perhaps find one more person to sign it? if everyone did that wouldnt it make a Huge difference

The pro cullers would call you a 'Badgerist' ...im very proud to have that label lol
Me too!! I love badgers. Although sadly during all that very cold weather and deep snow we had several died round here from starvation. Doubly sadly, although maybe it was a blessing in disguise, my 2 boys killed a female whilst OH was walking them. She was just sitting there in the snow, clearly starving and very thin and before OH could leash them, it was all over. Badgers are of course extremely aggressive, so she must have been dying, but I still feel terrible about it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 09:27 AM
I think there is little doubt that badgers do spread TB. But the problem lies in the cattle, NOT the badgers. The cattle are so inbred that they no longer have any natural resistance to TB. The "cure" lies not with culling the badgers IMO - simply because you cannot kill every single badger in the whole of Wales, England and Scotland. It would be absolutely impossible as there would always be a few who would escape, to breed and so the whole cycle would start again. You cannot cull them just in a single area, because badgers from other areas would simply move into the "free" territory, and thus start spreading the TB again.

The only solution is to vaccinate the cattle or better still stop inbreeding them and go back to basics, forget about pedigree herds, start again building up the dairy herds from scratch but this time introduce hybrid vigour to allow the cattle to build up the natural immunity.

I am not a cattle farmer, so am only talking from a point of view of common sense, not a knowledge of cattle breeding, but it seems to me that that we need to get to the nub of the matter which is to rebuild the cattle's immunity, not destroy badgers.
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-04-2013, 07:03 PM
The problem is there is no test available that can distinguish between vaccinated cattle, and cattle with TB. The scientific proof says culling badgers will have no effect, its just cheaper than vaccinating cattle.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
The problem is there is no test available that can distinguish between vaccinated cattle, and cattle with TB. The scientific proof says culling badgers will have no effect, its just cheaper than vaccinating cattle.
T'was ever a problem in the West Country too - all trials were invalid coz the ******s killed them anyway even in the 'trial areas' where they were testing other methods.

I've signed for you. I know many 'country folk' with 'country ways' who also don't agree with the cull on badgers.
natalie1828
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Signed
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
That's not good to hear Janitor. I didn't know that. Let's just hope that common sense prevails and scientific proof wins. Thankfully most of the general public, including many farmers, are very anti a badger cull anywhere, even as an experiment. Dr Brian May is not just a brilliant guitarist, he has proved his worth many times over by what he has does to raise the badger profile.
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2013, 10:23 AM
I thought I'd probably already signed but thought it might be a newer one. I had signed before,[based on email address] it won't let you sign again but my husband has now signed.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Labour calls Parliamentary vote on badger cull
http://www.labour.org.uk/labour-call...ull,2013-05-31
Labour has announced it will table an Opposition Day debate on the Government's plans for a badger cull next Wednesday (5 June 2013).

Mary Creagh MP, Labour's Shadow Environment Secretary, said:

“The Tory-led Government are pressing ahead with the free shooting of badgers despite leading scientists warning against this “untested and risky approach”. A cull would be bad for badgers, bad for farmers and bad for taxpayers. The taxpayer will pay policing costs of £4 million for just two areas, while the cull will spread bovine TB in the next two years as the shooting displaces badgers.

“Labour is calling a vote on the cull next Wednesday and we will be working with MPs from all parties to stop this crazy scheme. We need a science-led policy to manage cattle movements better and prioritise badger and cattle vaccination to tackle bovine TB instead of a cull.”

The wording for the motion reads 'This House believes the badger cull should not go ahead.'
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Signed,family members too
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >