Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am sure many show dogs live perfectly happy and active lives. Sadly, as the article states, there are others whose whole lives are geared toward winning the next rosette and are denied the simple pleasures in life that dogs should be entitled to.

Of course, there are also dogs in working, sport and pet homes that are also denied basic rights - and that is equally wrong.

It just seems the show folk close ranks whenever one of "their own" is held up as an example of all that is wrong in showing. I don't understand that.
Understand this..I am not closing ranks, I know all the bad that goes on in the show world, and don't ever defend it.

But as I said above tell me this dog is mistreated , and unhappy, and your argument may hold some clout
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 04:23 PM
What you are saying is that it isn't bad to not take a dog out in case it gets dirty, that it is OK to crate it whenever you are not able to watch it and that you think that although she has 20 dogs who are not allowed to mix that the dog gets plenty of time out of that crate.

Just as long as we know exactly where you are coming from on your standards of care.

Mine are a bit higher,

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
What you are saying is that it isn't bad to not take a dog out in case it gets dirty, that it is OK to crate it whenever you are not able to watch it and that you think that although she has 20 dogs who are not allowed to mix that the dog gets plenty of time out of that crate.

Just as long as we know exactly where you are coming from on your standards of care.

Mine are a bit higher,

rune
Just so you know exactly where I am coming from, maybe if you read what I wrote, you might not need to ask

I don't agree with it, I would not do it, but I don't think its cruelty either.

Many many dogs live lives I don't agree with, but not agreeing with the way others keep their dogs does not give me the right to say it cruel!

There, hope that helps!
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
Exactly. I can only imagine the response if this dog wasn't a champion lhasa apso but a lhasadoodle...if they exist
Off topic cuteness moment -

- tagged Lhasadoodles

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tag...e/interesting/

Ruby
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Just so you know exactly where I am coming from, maybe if you read what I wrote, you might not need to ask

Many many dogs live lives I don't agree with, but not agreeing with the way others keep their dogs does not give me the right to say it cruel!

There, hope that helps!
I didn't ever mention cruel---don't know where you get that from.

It doesn't help a lot actually.

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

There, hope that helps!
I do think it cruel - sorry!

I once had a couple of dogs come for training. They had beautiful coats, looked to all intents and purposes to be 'happy', but they weren't. They were, for want of a better word, dull. They were lacklustre, had no spark and had no idea at all how to just be a dog and have fun.

The dogs were pampered and preened, but, to me, the life had been drained (or bored) out of them, bless 'em.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2012, 08:42 PM

rune
From me probably
obbie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Unfortunatley winning crufts to the layman means, you have the best dog and you must be the best owner and do everything perfect.

As said many times on this forum, dogs are individuals.

THis dog might be quite content with it's life, but what would you say if she owned Afghan hounds?

This dog looks well cared for, her needs are met, however the owner might not be the best rolemodel of dog ownership.
She must love her dog to keep the fur on it in that condition, she wouldnt have the motivation otherwise.

I feel bad about the comments like "other dogs dont even get a walk so we shouldnt say bad things about her", we should tell people if they are not being perfect owners.

We should work towards all dogs having the best life possible, not turn a blind eye because in the scheme of things its not that bad.

We chose to have dogs, they didnt choose to have us.

(I would like to point out, I'm far from being a perfect owner, but I try to be)
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by obbie View Post
Unfortunatley winning crufts to the layman means, you have the best dog and you must be the best owner and do everything perfect.
actually, i think the general public has the opposite opinion to this.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-03-2012, 08:54 PM
It's what some believe.

rune
Not to worry
Page 7 of 24 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »