Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Puppy - lots of water & lots of panting

The noob to our clan seems to have an insatiable appetite for water, and also pants quite spontaneously. She's not been to the vets yet, but is booked in for this Thursday so we'll be getting the MOT done then
Along with drinking copious amounts of water and panting pretty randomly, she also has some other things going on.
She has mousse poo, nothing solid about it, but nothing runny either, just like mousse!
She has a rather distended belly, very tight to the touch!

So:
  • Drinking lots of water
  • Panting a lot but at random times
  • Swollen belly
  • Mousse poo

What do you guys suppose the vets will find?
I'm thinking she has quite a severe case of worms, and quite a frantic world at the minute causing everything else.
She's also not been vaccinated, and her throw up in the car on the way home consisted of nothing but what looked to be adult dog biscuits (she's not thrown up since - hopefully just nerves from the journey).

Thanks

Paul
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 09:37 PM
You really should get this puppy to the vets now and not wait until Thursday. Drinking so much and panting can signify a raised temperature. If they have a bad case of worms you can normally see them when she does her poo. Where did you get her from?

Please try and get her an earlier appt at your vets.
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
You really should get this puppy to the vets now and not wait until Thursday. Drinking so much and panting can signify a raised temperature. If they have a bad case of worms you can normally see them when she does her poo. Where did you get her from?

Please try and get her an earlier appt at your vets.
Hi. I understand your concern but she really is fine. I do think that it is down to nerves and new surroundings other than anything more sinister. I wouldn't take the risk if i thought there was anything wrong with her that could affect her in a big way in the short term.
I've looked at the poo, but as i say it is like mousse so cannot see any movement in there .
She does do the bum sctratch across the floor which kind of signifies the presence of worms - nothing a good worming tablet will not sort out.
I've felt for a temperature and there does not seem to be one.
She is very active, sleepy at about the right intervals as you would expect from a puppy, and generally comes across as very normal and healthy.
If things were to suddenly turn sour then we would rush her to the vets immediately, she is monitored 24/7 at the minute so any changes would be noticed.
We got her from someone who said that they could not manage children and a puppy; we did leave very happy that she would no longer be staying there.

Just in case i am missing the punch line, what is it in particular that concerned you so much that you think an imminent vet visit is required?

NB: her belly has gone down in size over the last 30 hours we've had her which says to me that it was an incorrect diet causing that issue.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Just in case i am missing the punch line, what is it in particular that concerned you so much that you think an imminent vet visit is required?
If she were mine and she was drinking so much and panting, I would take her to the vets ASAP. You cant actually "feel" whether a dog has a temperature the way you can with people / children.
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-04-2010, 09:59 PM
If she were mine and she was drinking so much and panting, I would take her to the vets ASAP. You cant actually "feel" whether a dog has a temperature the way you can with people / children.
Ok fair point. Will see what we can get tomorrow - you've rattled me now
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2010, 10:05 PM
im sure others will be on who will give you further advice - even ring your vet in the morning and ask him/her what they think.
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-04-2010, 10:15 PM
im sure others will be on who will give you further advice - even ring your vet in the morning and ask him/her what they think.
We didn't avoid the vets or anything. We got her on Sunday last and called the vet mentioning her vomitting on the ride home (something that isn't spectacular alone) along with her moussie poo and non-quenchable thirst (we hadn't seen the panting yet), and they simply said to bring her in on Thursday and not to worry. They said Thursday was better to give her chance to settle before getting her first vaccination jab.
They didn't give any explanations for the other symptoms.

EDIT: haha i'm saying 'Sunday last', i mean yesterday
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 05:50 AM
I would just keep a close eye on her until Thursday and bring the appointment forward if you feel the need.

How old is she?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 08:53 AM
there are loads of reasons why her belly would be large and her poo tiny, the more concerning ones would be things like a blockage/ partial blockage

the only way to take her temp is by anus...lol

are you letting both pups play like crazy? if so the heavy coated pup may just be panting through being knackered.

if shes still guzzling water today and panting a lot, I would try and pop her down today as apposed to tomorrow.
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I would just keep a close eye on her until Thursday and bring the appointment forward if you feel the need.

How old is she?
She's 13 weeks old.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
there are loads of reasons why her belly would be large and her poo tiny, the more concerning ones would be things like a blockage/ partial blockage

the only way to take her temp is by anus...lol

are you letting both pups play like crazy? if so the heavy coated pup may just be panting through being knackered.

if shes still guzzling water today and panting a lot, I would try and pop her down today as apposed to tomorrow.
Didn't say it was tiny...did I?
Anyway it's not, anything but tiny, there's enough to go around for everyone
They are playing quite a lot yes, i'm not too concerned like i've said, but the vets have been called and the symptoms were reiterated this morning to them and they said not to worry but allowed us to bring the appointment forward to this evening at 5pm to settle our nerves
The temp taking was a rough guesstimation by me to see if she seemed to be cooking or not, and no it wasn't an anus reading as i'm like a 5 year old when it comes to bums'n'poop haha.
She's fine at the minute anyway and the vets'll see what's what later on

Thanks for the advice folks

Paul
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >