Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Do you shop at farmers markets?

Recently been and I'm just wondering if anyone else does and what are their 'finds'?

What they like about shopping this way and what they dont?
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Excellent places to get different cuts/flavours of meat, as well as unusual or different meats (e.g. game). Price can be more expensive, but the taste is just a whole new level to supermaket meats.

I went out with a farmer a few years back and got introduced to lots of things I had not eaten before, or combos of things.

I am now craving roast duck breast mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
Excellent places to get different cuts/flavours of meat, as well as unusual or different meats (e.g. game). Price can be more expensive, but the taste is just a whole new level to supermaket meats.

I went out with a farmer a few years back and got introduced to lots of things I had not eaten before, or combos of things.

I am now craving roast duck breast mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
yup! I don't find it any more expensive than an independent butchers in this area, possibly cheaper even! (I know some areas the butchers are much cheaper) I do find it more than say, Asda or Tesco BUT tbh I cant stand supermarket meat. I have no idea what they do to it etc etc but it's usually pretty rubbish IMO! Their meat never seems to look good and a few times I have thrown meat out, even though its in date, its been really foul smelling the second the package is opened.

The farmers markets have more choice too. Pork, duck, lamb, venison (and other game at times), water buffalo, even wild boar ( ) fishmongers are there, beef, cheeses, organic veg, condiments, organic chicken and turkey, organic eggs are 15p cheaper a box than the local shop that sells 'normal' eggs too! All produce is local and if its not organic it is free range.

The supermarkets seem to charge a lot extra for scotch lamb, aberdeen angus, venison etc compared to their other lamb, beef and meats, comparing that price makes the farmers markets cheaper I think.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
surely there's not only two of us that shop at the farmers market?
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Supermarket meat tends to be on a mass produced scale... and then pumped full of water and preserves.

Our local butchers does farmers markets and shoots, so when game etc is in season it is even better!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 03:39 PM
We do. I personally find the cuts of meat are cheaper, and if you go near the end of day they practically throw the meat at you half price.

I like to get vegetables and fruit from them, I have also been where they sell home made chutneys/jams the lot....... yep count me in
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
We do. I personally find the cuts of meat are cheaper, and if you go near the end of day they practically throw the meat at you half price.

I like to get vegetables and fruit from them, I have also been where they sell home made chutneys/jams the lot....... yep count me in
I'm trying to get healthier and lose some weight at the same time, I walked past the condiments stand very quickly
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I'm trying to get healthier and lose some weight at the same time, I walked past the condiments stand very quickly
I have to say we should but don't The farm where our horses are sell their Dexter beef, I have ordered some for tomorrow see how that tastes......very cheap too.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I have to say we should but don't The farm where our horses are sell their Dexter beef, I have ordered some for tomorrow see how that tastes......very cheap too.
I'm having olives made from Water Buffalo tonight

I think it was about £20 for venison liver and venison kidneys (which they threw in for Loui ) a pack of garlic red wine and venison sausages, 2 packs of venison and something sausages (both different but cant remember off the top of my head..think 8 sausages in each of the three packs) a pack of buffalo olives, 2 packs of buffalo, cranberry and wild boar olives (4 olives a tray/pack) oh, and a large (cracked) organic egg (also for Loui )

Have a feeling it would have cost a lot more to get all that from a supermarket (if you could even get it) and the quality wouldn't be as good. All of it can be frozen too

Next time I will try the veg (he has stuff I havent seen before never mind ate ) so that's on the agenda for next time! Defo eggs and maybe pork, lamb beef and fish next time..... Like my food!
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2011, 04:46 PM
there's a farmers shop not too far from me, but i can't get to it until i'm driving oh's sister took me last christmas and i spent a fortune. can't wait to go back
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >