Our sister sites
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by amts
Aw Nat thats really sweet. Thank you

I hope you bring the cam when you take Oscar out for his "swim"
Try joining him and see if it helps? Its hot enough to do so and I know some who has dont it that way. Of course their dogs werent as big as Oscar, but they carried them and I dont suppose you´ll do that?
Im a sweet girl!
sorry to only have replied now, ive been at work 2day so missed out on the sun but its still lovely here! for oscar to practise! actually i was thinking of going in with him!(im not joking!)with my wellies! as he follows me ever where so this might be the best option and put him on his lead so i can help him what do you think? and gradually put him on rope so he can go further out? until he can swim on his own, i have plenty of time now to train him as i have 3 months off so its perfect! and something i really want to do
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Natasha
Im a sweet girl!
sorry to only have replied now, ive been at work 2day so missed out on the sun but its still lovely here! for oscar to practise! actually i was thinking of going in with him!(im not joking!)with my wellies! as he follows me ever where so this might be the best option and put him on his lead so i can help him what do you think? and gradually put him on rope so he can go further out? until he can swim on his own, i have plenty of time now to train him as i have 3 months off so its perfect! and something i really want to do
I think you going in with him would be great. And I´m not kidding either (this time )

IMO you have two options:
1) put a lead on and gently make him follow you. Make it a long lead for when he does swim
2) no lead but then make sure he will follow you all the way

If you decide that he needs to go in, then you cant let him only go in halfway. Its either in all the way or not at all

When he swims be carefull he doesnt "get" you with the claws. Some will panic a bit first and try climb their owner
But a lot of praises and you being firm but nice should make him get out there and start paddling.

You then cant take pics but you can tell us how it went after?
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by amts
I think you going in with him would be great. And I´m not kidding either (this time )

IMO you have two options:
1) put a lead on and gently make him follow you. Make it a long lead for when he does swim
2) no lead but then make sure he will follow you all the way

If you decide that he needs to go in, then you cant let him only go in halfway. Its either in all the way or not at all

When he swims be carefull he doesnt "get" you with the claws. Some will panic a bit first and try climb their owner
But a lot of praises and you being firm but nice should make him get out there and start paddling.

You then cant take pics but you can tell us how it went after?
Ok then thats what i will do i will put him on a lead as i think once i go too far in and he could not stand he would wait until i came closer, this way i know he has to follow, i will let him go in slowly so i dont panic him, but he loves the water anyway so i cant imagine he would that much as i will take him where he normally goes in so its familiar to him, thanks for your help i will let you know how it goes and when he starts swimming i will take pics for you to see, right im off to give it ago!
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Have fun Nat I´m sure he´ll do great
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-07-2005, 06:10 PM
great pics
amts
Dogsey Veteran