Female 

17-06-2005, 06:24 PM
yer sure amts thanks!!
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
My personal opinion is that he is not a skinny show dog Zoe, well, he's not the same as one I see out most mornings who works on a regular basis, and although he is a yellow one, he seems very small and skinny to me (the one I see, not Oscar!) Each to their own isn't it, but as amts has said, if you want a dog, why not have what you personally like in a dog and not what the showing world wants youto have. Doesn't make any sense to me unless you breed or own, to show and work them.
Thanks helena for your post!! yer i could not agree more with amts said either!im happy with oscar the way he is would not change him for the world just wondered other people opinions on whether they think he is a working lab or showxxx
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 06:39 PM
I used to work with a labrador breeder who bred both show and working type labs, its amazing the temperment differences between the two types
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Gem, help me out here...

Even after getting a pic of a show type, I'm confused...

What is Luna and what is Nat's Oscar??
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Ill try and explain J Im rubbish at explaining so bear with me!

A show type lab :
http://www.ridgewaylabradors.co.uk/y...chloe_show.htm

Will typically have a large blocky head, short coupled (short legged), the dog looks very chunky!

Working lab:
http://www.ridgewaylabradors.co.uk/y...ador_honey.htm
Will have a slimline body, long legged, almost like the physique of a pointer.

Then you have the dogs in the middle of these groups (my fave), luna and oscar, a dog with both working and show dogs in the pedigree, the perfect lab! physically fit but still with the trademark lovely big head, which can be lost in working labs!

hope that helps!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Thank you Gem..

Luna and Oscar are defo not working labs...

But not chunky enough to be show labs either...

So a kinda middle lab, like u said
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2005, 06:56 PM
yep i would agree with Gems, if u mate a working Lab to a SHow Lab, u get a Lab that is multi purpose, which i hear on the grape vine, is the latest speciality
best wishes
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Yep, they are the perfect labs

Remember Tilly? she was sired by a typical show dog carpenny jasper, her dam, purdey, was a very slim small working lab, tilly was stunning!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Yeah... And thank you both for your help

It doesnt really matter to me, what Luna is... But it was just interesting to know
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 07:33 PM
I did Lab rescue for 7yrs and my first job was with one of this country's best show Lab kennels. They are still the only kennel in the country to have bred champions in black, yellow and chocolate Labs, they also own and bred the breed record holder.

That aside, I mich prefer the working Lab. I assessed dogs for the police and prison service, for use as drugs and explosives sniffer dogs and as much as some of the show type showed the breeds willingness and character, their heavy, bulky build and weight held them back and they lacked the stamina to do the job over any length of time. Its a real shame, many resemble Rottweilers and Mastiff type dogs, coar se and cloddy, this is a breed that should be agile and have endless stamina and energy. I love to watch a decent Lab work, whatever its job, a good one is a treat to see, determined, focused and dedicated to its work, what the breed is all about.
Dawn.
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »