Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Graeme
Does anyone know if there are many working line Labrador breeders in the UK?

Graeme

Yeas i know of a fair few working kennells, for working, Labs, Cockers and Springers, there are a fair few, got the links if anyone wants one, to see what a lab 'should look like'?
best wishes
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-06-2005, 11:05 AM
I'd be interested Lu!
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lu-1
Yeas i know of a fair few working kennells, for working, Labs, Cockers and Springers, there are a fair few, got the links if anyone wants one, to see what a lab 'should look like'?
best wishes
Hiya, I too would be very interested to find out what Pippin "should look like"
He looks like a labrador to me but hey, what do I know.
I believe that he is carrying too much weight, the vet says he's carrying too much weight and the scales say that he is carrying too mush weight. BUT he manages to carry that excessive weight at great speed and for extended periods of time, his muscle definition whilst travelling is superb and his recovery rate is excellent.

There is a man (as there always is ) that breeds labs for the 'working' market, his own are all workers live outside and 2 are still working at 12 yrs old. 1 of his younger dogs looks exactly like Pip !!!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2005, 04:32 PM
I am not saying that show LAbs dont look like Labs, at all, quite the contrary, i am just saying how the working Labs, are a lot more leaner, and seemd to be a bit more muscly, there face are also slightly different, IMO anyway, they seem to have a more refined'ish jaw, if Azz, had no objections i would happily post the links
best wishes
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lu-1
I am not saying that show LAbs dont look like Labs, at all, quite the contrary, i am just saying how the working Labs, are a lot more leaner, and seemd to be a bit more muscly, there face are also slightly different, IMO anyway, they seem to have a more refined'ish jaw, if Azz, had no objections i would happily post the links
best wishes
Luke i would be really interested too, you are allowed to post links luke if they are releated to the topic which it is, im alwalys interested in stuff to do with labs, i think oscar looks like the working labs, coz he does not look like show labs, ive seen.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 04:50 PM
I would have liked to put in two pictures. One of a working lab and one of the show type.
Unforetenally I only have pics of the working type (Ally) and I need to get permission before "steeling" a pic of a showtype and showing it here.
If anyones interested I would be happy to call or write someone and get permission to show their picture of the show lab here.

But its not all about looks really. Its also about if they are able to work as breed for... Some breeders are more interested in showing and the (atleast in DK) judges has supported this division of show and working, so we today have two types of dogs; the smaller, faster and more energetic type of lab and the heavier, slower and more laid back lab that havent done a days work in generations.

Theres no doubt from my descriebtions what I find the "better dog" is there?
And its not to come down on any showlab, its because I find it very sad that this devision of the lab have taken place.
To me its ok that some doesnt want to work their dog, but IMO understanding your dog for what it is, is the first step to have a good relationsship and happy times with it.
A labrador is a retriever and should be treated as such.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Well I don't know anything about showing dogs, but as Michelled has said in the horse world when you show a horse, you could not possibly show a lean super-fit horse as they just wouldn't like it, they like them well rounded and well covered.

Personally, I like the big chunky heavy (not fat!) looking labs rather than the skinny ones I have seen when out walking, as I like the big head shape much better than the leaner ones, but that's just my personal taste, and I'm not a judge am I. I am sure the same would apply though that you cannot have a fat, fit horse, so in turn it would mean a leaner looking lab would possibly have a lot more staminer than a heavier type lab, but if it's just as a pet then, hey, what does that matter, unless you're training for the marathon when you take them out for a walk.

One of my dogs, although not a lab, would be considered overweight and yet he is still capable of trotting alongside a bicycle every morning for a 40 min. stint, so he must be relatively fit.

I don't like to see really overweight looking dogs that can't move that is awful, but a nice bit of flesh on them is quite appealing to me, as it is in the horse world.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Well I don't know anything about showing dogs, but as Michelled has said in the horse world when you show a horse, you could not possibly show a lean super-fit horse as they just wouldn't like it, they like them well rounded and well covered.
Being in the "horse world" myself for many years I know showing a horse is also about the breed
And I also know that some breeds have experienced the same "division" (or should I say splitting?) that have courses two diff types of the same breed.
A shame if you ask me. Why not buy (and breed) what you like instead of changing the ability the animals were supposed to have in the first place?
I just dont get it
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by amts
I would have liked to put in two pictures. One of a working lab and one of the show type.
Unforetenally I only have pics of the working type (Ally) and I need to get permission before "steeling" a pic of a showtype and showing it here.
If anyones interested I would be happy to call or write someone and get permission to show their picture of the show lab here.

so we today have two types of dogs; the smaller, faster and more energetic type of lab and the heavier, slower and more laid back lab that havent done a days work in generations.
Theres no doubt from my descriebtions what I find the "better dog" is there?
Amts i think some pics is a good idea to show the two types, as quite a few people seem interested in this topic including me
lol that last bit made me laugh, could you make it a little clearer which one you like the best!

Could i just ask a quick question to anyone willing to answer ? from the pics you have seen of my lad oscar which of the two would you say he? as im no expert, so would like to no from someone more experienced thanks!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by amts
Being in the "horse world" myself for many years I know showing a horse is also about the breed
And I also know that some breeds have experienced the same "division" (or should I say splitting?) that have courses two diff types of the same breed.
A shame if you ask me. Why not buy (and breed) what you like instead of changing the ability the animals were supposed to have in the first place?
I just dont get it
Totally agree amts!
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »