Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jiff
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Hear! Hear! It would be a shame to lose out on these almost Aristotlean discourses.
I just had to reply to this, because it made me smile. If you are going to post something to impress your peers, please make note; It is Aristotelian, and not Aristotlean.

Have a nice day.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
If we are in agreement that Pit Bulls are dangerous, wouldn't it be foolhardy not to ban them.

My last comment on the subject.
In that case we should also ban greyhounds by your own standards
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2010, 06:03 AM
No not all pit bulls are dangerous ...IF that was the case then why not Ban Rottweilers and Dobermans because alot of people say their dangerous to..Which is not the case at all when I was a kid i grew up with 7brothers n sisters all of us were small children! And all our family dogs were pit bulls rottweilers and dobermans ..And all of them were very friendly protective and loyal dogs! In my opinion its all on how a dog is raised and i recall one time when i was little i was trying to climb over our chain link fence and our pit bull grabbed me by my diaperand carried me back into my house
Lisab
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2010, 04:33 PM
If trained well then no, but I feel pit bulls could be potentially the most dangerous with an irresponsible owner.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lisab View Post
If trained well then no, but I feel pit bulls could be potentially the most dangerous with an irresponsible owner.
I'm curious why you think they would be the "most" dangerous with an irresponsible owner? I would imagine that many breeds, including GSDs, Rottweilers, Mastiffs of various types, and many other larger dogs could be just as dangerous with a bad owner.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
I'm curious why you think they would be the "most" dangerous with an irresponsible owner? I would imagine that many breeds, including GSDs, Rottweilers, Mastiffs of various types, and many other larger dogs could be just as dangerous with a bad owner.
im curious about that too...
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
im curious about that too...
I reread it and maybe think I misread it. The "most" dangerous not in comparison to other dogs but in comparison to other pit bulls raised by decent folks? Just a thought...not sure which way the person meant it!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Lisab View Post
Iam guessing , that the "potentially " mos dangerous, will be because the Pitbull /type is still very much a banned breed here in the UK, and as such most are in the wrong type of hands.

They are also still very much a breed that has a very strong fighting instinct, (given that those bred here will not have been bred from pet breeders who are breeding for a nice family dog)

Yes of cause other breeds can also be dangerous, in the wrong hands, but most other breeds are no longer (or should not be) bred for their primitive tendencies... (those fighting breeds) the Staffie for one has had generations of selective breeding to breed out the "fight" you cant say that for the pitbull terrier (here at least).

And whether we like it or not and no matter what one thinks of the Dangerous Dog act, the fact is they are "banned" and as a banned breed they attract the wrong type of owner..so in that fact alone, they are more than likely going to be more dangerous (as the damage they can do) than a dog that is owned by a above board law abiding owner.

Just to also make the point, any dog in the sort of hands that seem to flock to the "banned" types,, can also be dangerous, but as the pit is still very much bred to fight , it becomes a moot point as to it being less dangerous than any other dog.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
but most other breeds are no longer (or should not be) bred for their primitive tendencies... (those fighting breeds)
Some other breeds (GSDs, Rotties, etc.) when in the wrong hands are being bred for "guarding" which involves attacking any strangers. Pit bulls, in the wrong hands, are being bred to be dog aggressive and even fighting pit bulls are often NOT human aggressive.

I find dogs bred to "guard" and toughened up to attack strangers to be far more dangerous than a dog bred to fight other dogs.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Some other breeds (GSDs, Rotties, etc.) when in the wrong hands are being bred for "guarding" which involves attacking any strangers. Pit bulls, in the wrong hands, are being bred to be dog aggressive and even fighting pit bulls are often NOT human aggressive.

I find dogs bred to "guard" and toughened up to attack strangers to be far more dangerous than a dog bred to fight other dogs.
thats the same point i was thinking reading that post. so many people seem to have the misconception that pit bulls are human aggressive, but they were specifically bred not to be.
Page 60 of 132 « First < 10 50 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 70 110 > Last »