View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
daveydw
New Member!

15-01-2005, 09:47 AM

2 male staffs

hi i have a 12month old male staff and iam wanting to buy another is it a recipe for disaster buying another male or are bitches more likeley to get along
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 09:54 AM
hi and welcome to Dogweb

that is a question nobody can really answer, there is a 50 - 50 chance either way.
there is a post right now in the rescue section wher someone did have 2 males and now one has to be rehomed due to them not getting on, but i have known many to be just fine.
Male & Female will get on better, i personally have 2 females, which is something which is not highly recommeded, but again there is a 50 - 50 chance that they will be ok.

Hopefully someone with experience of 2 males will come along and give you more advice.

Good luck in what ever you choose.
pete
Almost a Veteran

15-01-2005, 10:04 AM
i have a male and was at one point considerin another in the future so i have asked a lot of people who own and breed lots of staffs and who have owned two out the very many i have asked only two has succesfuly said they own two dogs together ,one is nueterd and given the chance they would probaly fight but he is very on top of them as he doesent give em chance ,and they other has to keep them in seprate rooms,these are very experienced dog owners and breeders as welll mind. so id say i wouldnt bother .
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-01-2005, 10:15 AM
I really wanted to keep a dog out of my last litter, but decided against it after reading so many horror stories about problems that people have had to with 2 male staffs.

Like Emma said some people have problems with females living together as well but I know more people with 2 females that get on ok than with 2 males. Its a chance you have to take, I know of 2 males that have lived together for 10 years with no problems.

You have to think about a couple of years down the line, if things don't work out you will have to get rid of one of them and that must be so hard.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 10:45 AM
I think you've been given some very sensible advice.It CAN work...but are you willing to risk getting another male and then having to rehome one later in life if they don't get on.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 10:45 AM
First of all welcome to Dogweb!!

I already had a dog so when I was looking for another staffie I was told to get a bitch cos 2 males together can be a big problem.

It's something you have to think long and hard about. I ended up getting a bitch and they got on brilliantly, hardly a cross word between them.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 11:01 AM
I think the thing to bare in mind is male dogs may 'argue'....mine do occasionally but it is literally who can shout loudest and show more teeth while standing on their back legs...this isn't the case with staffs...its not about 'bravado' with them and if they start its not easy to stop them.
I knew a bloke who left his staff with his 2 GSD....when he came back 1 GSD was dead ,the other was badly mauled...yet they had lived together for years without any problems
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Ive always been told not to keep two male staffs together by the more experienced-
I would have had another male but was advised to get a girly
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Welcome to dogweb

I'll go with the general flow on this one. I wuld not own two male staffs unless the age difference was great ie a 14-15 year old male and got a pup Any closer in age and no and even with that gap I;d think more than once
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 07:10 PM
i would agree with Kazz if there was a big age gap it can work. with you having a 12 month old i think you would be asking for trouble there hase to be at least 8-10 year ago gap.

but saying that i do have a firend in Aus that has 2 males. 1 is 5 and the other is 2 they get on great and both have been used at stud, but she is at home all day and uses creats when they go to bed so the boys are never on there own when she is not around. and they are never left together when her girls are in season
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >