View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 01:40 PM

Not sure whether to be pleased or angry.

This afternoon I decided me and Rupert would go exploring the local area a bit since we're both getting bored with the same walk all the time. So, packed my backpack with poo bags, toy, treats and long line and off we went.

Just as we're leaving the estate we turn a corner and come face to face with a little off leash dog. It barks, 3 more off leash dogs come running including the biggest Weim I ever saw. Seriously, Rupe's 24 inches at the shoulder, this one was a good 5 inches taller! Anyway, I'm trying to put myself between Rupert and 4 dogs and obviously not succeeding too well. The little barky one got past me, got smacked in the head by Ruperts muzzle. The Weim had a growl and snap about that which I thought would set Rupe off but no, he sniffed noses quite politely with it. Thankfully the owners of the dogs got there quickly and apologised and took them away.

So yeah, I'm not sure whether to be p*ssed off that we got mobbed by 4 dogs or pleased that Rupert didn't go into meltdown. He didn't appear overly stressed out by it and there was no screaming or lunging. I'm just hoping it hasn't set us back, normally we encounter a loose dog and that's it, we're right back to reacting to the mere sight of one.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 01:44 PM
I'd be very pleased with him if I were you!

Aren't you in Germany at the moment? maybe in a new place he has turned a new leaf.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Why not be both?

Well done Rupert!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Aye, we're in Germany at the moment and in the 3 months we've been here this is the first time we've really encountered a loose dog. I'm pleased he didn't go into meltdown but I'm not sure whether he was just so overwhelmed he didn't know what to do. He's been less reactive lately though so hopefully we're getting somewhere with it.

I'm not at all impressed we were put in the situation in the first place though to be honest. If he hadn't been muzzled the little barky dog would have been grabbed and shaken and chances are that would have set the others off. And the owners of course.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Maybe he doesn't understand their barks? Are they barking in German?

I'd be pleased TBH.... we had what could have been an 'incident' with a person (not a dog) and the dogs were much better behaved than usual... even though they were generally b*ggers for the rest of the walk, I was pleased we have avoided an incident!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 02:54 PM
ild be pleased, ob not nice being in the situation in the first place but these things happen and atleast it didnt turn in to a massive situation
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 03:34 PM
German barks
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2011, 04:06 PM
It sounds like you both handled it well, as Rupert did not get overly stressed so maybe it will have a positive outcome next time you meet a loose dog? Must have been a nerve racking experience for you though