Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2010, 10:33 PM

Bit of a rant...

well basically im a student nurse, and need my car to get to placement because the placement im on is 2 bus rides and a train ride each way adding 3 hours travel time and money I dont have. My car just broke down and they still want me to get to placement. Do you think im being unreasonable saying I am unable to get there??
ATD x
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 05:05 AM
I guess I see it both ways (so really not much of a help).
If it was your job you were going to, they might understand you having unable to get there for a day, if your car broke down.
But they wouldn't really understand if you rang up and said "my car broke down I am not coming in until it is fixed"
I know it is only a placement but it is a placement that is in preparation to work as a nurse and it is basically to give you practical experience and to get you into the routine of nursing.
This stuff happens when you work as well and sometimes you have to use public transport to get there. How long is the trip by car??
That being said, it would be a big pain and being a student on a limited income can stretch things financially and hopefully they can be somewhat accommodating and see if they can find a placement closer to where you live.
Hope it works out for you and some arrangement can be made
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 08:26 AM
I understand if it was my job I had to go ect but I would have an income to get there, i have nothing left till my bursary goes in, I just fink they should be a little more accomodating going to ring Uni to see what they say
ATD x
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Is there no one you could get a lift in with temporarily ?
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 08:39 AM
No, its 15 miles away and I live at home both parents work it I lived in halls it would be soo much easier it's one bus
ATD x
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Hi I can sympathise as I too am out on placement at the moment in the city centre so either have really high parking charges or have to pay for public transport costing me a fortune too. How long do you need to be off for? If it is only a couple of days can you not just ask to do some long days over the weekend? Or do long days so you do not have to travel so often?

Other side of it is though it doesn't look good as a reason for not attending placement as 100% is expected. Not worth jepordising not being signed off.

Will uni help? Because ours will if you need to. But then your bursery is due tomorrow isn't it? Mine is

Hope you get sorted soon xx
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 07:12 PM
It's in the garage tomoz so hope if they got the part only need tomoz off But will only no tomoz
I am to the brink of my overdraft and need the money tomoz for that plus my direct debits and fixing my car =[ Uni have zed but it down as absent so they fine wil it
ATD x