Our sister sites
Our sister sites
slither556
New Member!
Male 

01-02-2011, 07:13 PM

Stop puppy from jumping up and biting

Hi,
I have a 6 month old staff /boxer cross who keeps jumping up and biteing when he gets excited, usually when we just come home or get up in the morning. when he jumps up i stand up striaght and put my hands behind my back and tell him to sit which he does then as soon as i lean down to stroke him he does the same thing again, so i do the same thing again, and then he jumps up again etc.. aswell as jumping up in this excited state he trys to hump our legs also eventhough he has just been castrated!! of course we push him off while saying the off command.

the second problem we have is biteing the method(s) which i have researched for stopping him from biteing do not seem to be effective i.e. if he starts biteing our hands or legs we tell him no and turn away for him, he then bites to back of our legs while we walk away? how do we stop this? he is quite a heavy dog now so picking him up and putting him ot of the room is diffcult at the best of times, yelping like an injured puppy seems to excite him more and unless we are really screaming no at the top of our voice he does not tend to pay attention.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-02-2011, 07:26 PM
hi ive got a 21 week old mastweiler and he was the same when we got him. now what i did was the same stand up said no and walked away, now i got him loads of toy's play bones teething plastic bones etc and chews, he has never chewed since he does try with me in a playfull manner, but as soon as i say no and gentle he lick's me or i get him one of his toy's to distract him. also he'll be teething as kids do anything he can chew to help his pain etc will do in his eye's. reward him for stopping when told and ignore him when he carrie's on. have you thought of the kong chew toy and put some treats in for him, it will distract him away from human skin and will stimulate him as well. it does get better i promise as i said mine was murder. also dont yelp my dog got excited by it so i gave that idea up, but thats my dog hopefully getting him toy's and teething chews etc will help you alot. goodluck and keep us updated. as for the jumping walking away from him out the room as been helping me with mine he's getting the idea when he jumps in excitement i go out or other family members go out of the room. he now gets a toy in the mornin and doesnt jump. the next step we have now is stopping him from jumping on visitor's lol.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
If these are the times when he gets over excited and jumps up, I recommend ignoring him at these times until he displays calmer behaviour. As soon as he does - praise him!

When he jumps, do not give the sit command - instead turn your back. Wait two minutes, then turn round again. If he jumps again - again turn your back and this time wait three minutes. I know it feels awful to ignore your dog but you must show him that you are not going to 'reward' or reinforce this behaviour.

You are absolutely spot on for dealing with this now. My Labrador is big and strong and his first owner never addressed the jumping up issue. It's taken me the better part of seven months to teach him not to do it - and as he's now older than your dog it's been really tough.

If the above method fails, then I can tell you that ultimately I had to gently squirt lukewarm water at my dog to get him to stop jumping...! It was the only thing that worked with him. (If you do ever go down this route, the water must be paired with a firm 'no!'.

Re the Biting:

I'm not sure the best way to deal with this. A loud yelp on your part and again turning your back is one way.

More experienced folk will come along and give you some great advice, I'm sure
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Yes, it really is a case of ignoring bad behaviour and rewarding good. I rescued Skye at 6 months old, she is now 11 months old and still gets sooo excited when she sees people/friends that sometimes she forgets herself and jumps up. Its difficult when some of my visitors will still fuss her while I'm telling them to ignore her and I'm certainly not going to start shutting her away. On the whole, a ball will distract her or squeaky if we are out across the fields. Best of luck