View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I think we just all have differing opinions. And whereas I defend everyones right to do whatever they need to make their dogs happy some people cannot or don't want to understand not all dogs are the same.

elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I think we just all have differing opinions. And whereas I defend everyones right to do whatever they need to make their dogs happy some people cannot or don't want to understand not all dogs are the same.

Nice one
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Now...now kiddies!
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2008, 04:42 PM
I said it was shades of grey on page 9 and I think its true.But some people are not willing to bend, I agree with Spot, Julie, Elaine B .
whippetwatch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2008, 04:52 PM
A thread this long always comes down to specifics and descends into a personal slanging match. Dogsey...hmmm.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Well guys, I started this thread and didnt want it to start into fight, lol, but MY personal conclusions are.....

- "I" dont think its right to buy a puppy or any healthy dog of reasonable age if you know you cant exercise it.

- Things arent always as they seem, there may be a very good reason, unknown to others, why some dogs dont get walked

- Some people prefer the exercise side of owning a dog, others prefer the affection and company of dog, some people like both!

BUT..

I think everyone here is on Dogsey cos we all love our Mutts so at least we all have their welfare at heart which is all we can ask for!
Ginny
New Member!
Female 

15-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Yes I think that unless there are medical reasons for the dog that is - all dogs should be walked even if it's not for long - a change is as good as a rest and they need a break from the same environment. I own a boarding kennels and even though its only for a short time all our guests are walked daily - I feel they need time out from the 4 walls !
I say at the start of my reply only if the dog is medically unfit, because even if the owner cannot manage to walk the dog there are always way round this these days - I know of one such case whwre an elderly lady's neighbour walks her dog for her
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Dear god.

In the case of the people in the original post with the GSD puppy, I still feel they should not have got the puppy in the first place. Common sense should have told them that. I think we all know the reasons why and I don't have to state them all again.

My situation...

I live with my grandparents. My gran still works and my granpa is retired and is incredibly fit for his age (73) and very active.

My granpa dotes on the dotes and walks them for 1 1/2 to two hours every single day during the week, sometimes much longer. He enjoys the dogs and loves walking. They also get lots of play with other dogs and also play in the house and garden with my granpa and each other.

I work full time and although I would walk them in the morning, let them out for the loo at lunchtime and walk them in the evenings as well at training etc, if I was on my own with the dogs I wouldn't have a dog. I don't feel it would be fair on them to be in all day on their own, even with a toilet break at lunchtime.

I take them out in the evenings after tea for 1 to 2 hours. I often met up with friends who have dogs and we walk the dogs together. They get a good walk, with lots of running around and playing with other dogs, sometimes I throw a ball but not every day as I think it was knock my dogs mental if I constantly thew a ball for them every day, jmo about my dogs.

I also do plenty of training with them during the week and weekends and make a point of spending quality time with them in the evenings and at weekends.

I also give them their tea when I come in from work, so they have learned that it's me who feeds them in the evenings.

I also have another set of grandparents who have had dogs and cats most their life. They have just retired and are now looking for a small, rescue dog. They are both active. They certainly are not GSD dog owners or even dogs of their size. They also love the dogs and would look after the dogs for me at anytime should I need them to.

I hope some of you will understand that although I work full time, I always make sure my dogs are happy and well cared for and have plenty of mental and physical stimulation when I'm at work. I have no choice but to work full time, unfortunately, but I do understand that some poeple believe that if you work full time that you shouldn't have a dog - fair enough. Thankfully they are both happy, very healthy dogs who have no behavioural issues and seem to be thriving on the environment we, as a family, provide them with and the care they receive seems to be having no adverse effects as yet.

What I'm trying to say is that if you cant provide adequate care (including walking if they are able to do so) then you have to make sure you get someone else to help care for them, or don't have them at all.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 05:33 PM
I beg to differ on that one that isif you cant walk a dog then you should not have one) No one has the right to judge other people if someone wants a dog and it is looked after what is the harm
However this is going round in circles I have said what I think and so to bed with this one
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Ewwwwww
Page 13 of 23 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »