View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hopelessdawn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2007, 08:15 PM

I want to adopt a blind and deaf poodle any have experience with blind/deaf dogs?

I work at an animal shelter and we recently saved a blind and deaf 4 mth old poodle from being put to sleep at the city "kill" shelter. They figured this dog would pretty much be unadoptable. This dog was dropped at the shelter as it was bought as a puppy from a pet store and didn't listen to anyone in the family and and that something was wrong with it. When they took it to the vet , they were told it was blind and deaf. (this dog is only 4 mths old) I am thinking about adopting this dog, as I have fallen in love with him. I have no experience with either blind or deaf dogs but have been reading up on this before I decide. I do have two medium sized dogs (one is a pit/boxer and one is a foster dog a shepard mix) My question is does anyone have personal experience with a blind and deaf dog? Any info you can give me would be great Thanks!
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Sorry only had a blind dog, he went blind at 10mths so had already had basic obedience, I used voice and made sure I was close if it was windy, I also trained my other dog to bring him back if he couldnt hear me because of the wind. Never had a dog that was both blind and deaf, normaly with a deaf dog you would teach hand signals but that will not help in your case, maybe someone else can help.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2007, 01:10 PM
My sister's lab (Sooty) was blind, but like Wildmoor's dog he was not born that way so he had been trained before he went blind. He also was familiar with the layout of the house.

He coped very well and led a full life. He did become quite dog-aggressive though as when he was being walked on the lead off-lead dogs did used to charge up to him and startle him.

At the time we had a great dane (Tim) and Sooty used to follow Tim around as he could hear his ID tag on his collar jingling. Obviously being deaf the poodle will not hear the other dogs you have but I imagine his sense of smell will be hightened and he may be able to follow your other dogs in this way. I'm afraid I am only speculating here as I have no experience with deaf dogs. Sorry.

If you do go for it though always make sure you leave furniture in the same place. Once he has learned the layout of your home he won't expect to find a chair left out away from the table!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 12:50 PM
I have had a deaf and blind dog previosly and currently have a blind dog and a partially deaf and blind dog (he only has 25% sight and sound).
They manage really really well and i hate this myth that they should be put down! All my dogs have had very happy enjoyable lives and their greatest sense is infact their smell, so the poodle will b fine with you and your other dogs. Just dont move furniture much and routine on walks etc helps.
If i can give you any more advise, please dont hesitate to ask and take that poodle on!

Good Luck!!!!!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Any news on the poodle? Would love to hear an update on him, even if you decided not to adopt him.
Gemma