Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-12-2006, 08:40 PM

Your best 'show day' ever?

What was it? And why?

-------------

Mine is kind of off-topic as my best show day was a cat show - it was amazing seeing all the different kinds of breeds, and how different some of them looked in 'real life'. I really enjoyed it and would love to go to Crufts one year to see how many more breeds I can fall in love with!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 08:48 PM
The best day we had was Crufts,we went on terrier day,we had no kids or dogs with us and we had a brill time.
It was hard to get near the breed ring there were so many people.We had a lovely lunch and a nice glass of wine or two in the bar
We met so many other terrier breeds and looked around discover dogs stands,fantastic day out.We are hoping to go again this year
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 08:58 PM
My Irish Setter Bailey, has given my alot of pleasure and some lovely wins over the years, including several Best in Shows. However my best show day was at a breed club show in April this year. I brought Bailey out of retirement at 9 1/2 years old to win Best Veteran in Show. I was so proud.

This is what the Judge that day had to say about him in the dog press.

Cataluna Son of a Gun.
''There was something about this dog I liked from the start of this class. I was thrilled later to read he was a son of Chicago Bear, who for me was a very special dog to our breed, and one we owe a great deal of thanks to.

At nearly 10 he has retained a lovely elegant outline, clean neck flowing into the shoulders, good in upper arm, topline and croup, loveliest of heads showing such refinement and a soft melting expression with lovely raised brows. Excellent hindquarters and bend of stifle, straight from hock to heel, in lovely bloom with ample feathering. He flowed around the ring with a lashing tail and with such ease that belied his years, a true stayer. I was delighted to award him Reserve Best Dog, and Best Veteran in Show.''

http://www.irishsetter.org.uk/BreedC...otosOpen06.htm

Dawn R.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 09:08 PM
There have been a few good moments....
Polly winning Veteran Stakes at a Champ show, but someone else was handling.....
Polo winning Limit dog at a breed Champ show, as a neuter..
Deccy winning his first Group as a Junior....
unfortunately we don't get critiques in Ireland!
..but the most enjoyable was Richmond a few years back, I did nothing in the ring but there was the most amazing steward in our ring, he made us all laugh including the judge, he came down the line while we were waiting and offered each of us a choice of Polo mints, the atmosphere was great, everyone was relaxed and I actually stayed on to the end!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 10:09 PM
My best day so far was at East of England Championship show 2004. Fabian was 9 months and 1 day but still qualified for the minor puppy dog class.

He won that class and the puppy dog class, (beating 4 championship show judges with their dogs), was pulled out for the last 4 for the dog Challenge Certificate and went Best Puppy in Breed beating one of the top breeders with a bitch that had already won a reserve cc.

I floated home that day.
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

01-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Sorry I can't think of the best, there have been so many times when I thought "This is the best it can get,"
- The first CC, the first B i S., a Best Puppy in Show at a big Open with 100 puppies entered. I was SO lucky because I did it all for fun, the wins were a fantastic bonus. BUt the one trophy I have kept was for a win at an obedience competition - only for pets, no real ob. dogs there, and my lad won the trophy. I was so proud because I had only just started a few weeks earlier, we were both beginners, and the Trophy - a silver plated spoon with GuideDogs for the Blind on it. It still has pride of place in the cabinet. Kath
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Like Kath I can't think of 'the best show day ever', there have been so many

I haven't been to a show as a participant for many years. The first time I handled a dog at a show so my first 'proper show' was Leeds Championship in 1964 showing Airedales and Lakies, after that I went to what must have been hundreds of shows of every kind.

Out of all the shows the one with the best atmosphere was Bolton New Years Day....bitterly cold ,the smell of sawdust on the floor and everyone taking nips of brandy to try to keep warm

The show that stands out most for me is not one of the big championship shows when one of our dogs got a 3rd ticket and was 'made up', it was the first show I ever went to alone and returned with best in show .
It was a Saturday afternoon Limited Show held in a grubby little church hall in Burnley,there were cigarette ends all over the floor, Ross being the pro he was behaved beautifully and we won a little cup. I was so proud!

This was Ross as a puppy..
and some of the Airdales I showed (I found this page on ebay and couldn't quite believe it )
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ross.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	3126   Click image for larger version

Name:	43_1_b.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	3127  
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 11:38 PM
I have had so many but for me was the UK Toy I got to meet so many friends that I still see very regular at my weekend shows, it's nice to keep in touch.
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 11:45 PM
One of my best shows was when dougal got the Reserve CC and best puppy, and his dad won the CC and BOB his half sister also won the bitch RCC. He was the youngest irish coated wheaten to ever gain his stud book number and he was my first show dog so that was nice Also showing in ireland with Norman who i didnt expect to win much, he got two res green stars, best puppy, 1 major green star, 1 Green star at an international show, and 2 BOB's, also the last show he went to he got best puppy, best of breed, shortlisted for BIS in the adults, and res best puppy in show! But even if i dont win at shows, my favorite bit is when i can take the dog home or when i can pic them up and get their hair all messy and not worry lol. As long as the dog has fun and look good in the ring then the winning is just an added extra.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Never been to a show.... gonna put that right soon though. Quite fancy it, just to watch though
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >