You'll have to talk her into learning a cheaper instrument like the spoons
My 8 year old niece has taken up the flute and she loves it
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
Fred, I have to ask......
What colour is the sky on your planet????

Now, have you got a bloomin' flute or not???
the sky is blue and my neighbors little girl has on ask her for you.

don`t worry you should see that thread when i wanted to sell my laptop how that turned out
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 05:20 PM
I know what a flute is Ashlady - you play them out of the side of your mouth don't you - is that so she can still talk a lot like her mum Aren't they made of metal too
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
the sky is blue and my neighbors little girl has on ask her for you.

don`t worry you should see that thread when i wanted to sell my laptop how that turned out

I know Fred - its terrible what some people put on these threads isn't it
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
I know Fred - its terrible what some people put on these threads isn't it
yes foxy poor old Ashlady but i will ask about that flute tommorow
Hiya boi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-10-2005, 05:24 PM
If you are looking for a second hand flute then make sure u do your homework first. I'm assuming your daughter has a music teacher at school (what age is she by the way)
Ask either the peripatetic teacher or the music department which make of flute would be best for your daughter. Failing that look in your yellow pages under music teachers and ring up a wood wind teacher and ask them to make a recommendation for a beginner. Once you have a couple of names of reputable brands go to your local music shop and ask prices, if u don't have one then ring a few up and ask prices. This will give u a guideline on how much a new one will cost and you can work from there. Some music shops also sell on instruments that have been part exchanged or ones they have previously had out on hire...so ask around.
If your daughter is in a secondary school they often have their own instruments that they would be willing to loan, or the teacher may know of a pupil who is getting a new one and therefore may be willing to sell on their old one.
You can get good bargains on ebay but stay away from cheap imports from India, China, infact any of the eastern countries. These instruments may be cheap but they are shoddy and poor quality.
Before you shell out any money do u know anyone with a flute? Does your daughter know anyone who has one that would be willing to let her have a go? It's not an easy instrument to master and I do know of someone who wanted to play but couldn't as their mouth/lips were not able to make the right shape in order to be able to blow it correctly.
I know it sound that there is a lot to take in but it's worth it, if you get the right instrument and your daughter enjoys learning there is nothing more rewarding that watching them perform. Once she gets more confident and more accomplished she would be asked to join the school orchestra and I would encourage her to do so. In my experience both my daughters musical ability increased dramatically once they became orchestra members. They also developed great social and team building skills not to mention getting an immense pleasure from playing.
Good luck
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 05:25 PM
I just had a look in Loot, they don't come cheap do they - they start at about nearly £200 upwards. Can't she learn the recorder instead, you can get them in Argos for £9.99
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Yeah my sister told me they were really expensive
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Many thanks for your reply Lorraine. Charlotte is 7 and has given up the recorder to take up the flute. The school do offer the hiring of an instrument but the fee is £42 per term + £40 ish for insurance. The lessons are £35 per term as well, so I thought I'd look into buying one and payout only once instead of three times a year (for the instrument).

I just knew there'd be more to it so as you say, a little research is needed. She has been given one from the school and is mastering the mouth shape, but I would like them to have it back a.s.a.p.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Stewart B
Yeah my sister told me they were really expensive
It isn't just the flute, the lessons aren't cheap either, not when you consider all the other activities that we have to pay for Didn't you say you wanted a child Stew, I would consider a swop for a digital SLR ??
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >