Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sureader
New Member!
Female 

10-07-2012, 02:41 PM

Posible muscle strain after jumping for frisbee

my gsd has a limp on her rear left leg, is stiff when gets up from lying down, but is still ready to go for a walk and chase her frisbee! She had a lot of difficult exercise on sunday as we accidentally found ourselves having to wade thru deep bogs and then a flowing river,This was after chasing and jumping for her frisbee. She will let me examine her with no whimpering just sad eyes! could this be muscle strain and can i give her anything to ease it? my vet cant see her til friday! she is 3.5 yrs and weighs 35kilo
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 03:09 PM
It could be muscle strain, hamstring injury, especially if she's fine once she's up and about, but having had horses for donkey's years, I do know that more serious problems can be caused by wading through deep mud, as in tendon and other more serious strains, so only a vet can tell you by manipulation of the leg, hopefully.

At the very least, he could subscribe some pain relief, tell you to lead walk only for 10 days and see if it improves, otherwise you'll be in for x-rays and tests. I wouldn't give anything to ease pain unless it was prescribed by my vet, but that's me, other people give human painkillers, but can't help you there. Try some gentle massaging when she's nice and warm indoors. They do love having their back legs rubbed even when they're ok, I often massage my dog's legs when she's lying down and she stretches it right out fully, so it can only help, and good luck.

I do hope it's purely a muscle strain and nothing more serious though.
Sureader
New Member!
Female 

10-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Thank you, She does love her massages! followed by a good groom! She limps when gets up but doesnt hesitate to run, bed rest til friday!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Sureader View Post
my vet cant see her til friday! she is 3.5 yrs and weighs 35kilo
I think I would start by finding a different vet!

You could give her arnica but it obviously depends on what she's done. Hope it's nothing serious.
Sureader
New Member!
Female 

10-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Why would I want a different vet?? My vet is fantastic, have spoken to him via phone and he said to rest and he will see her on friday when he's back in surgery.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-07-2012, 03:40 PM
my dogs play hard and have had muscle injuries as well,slight limps as they walk.nothing to serious.i use a product called,medacam/oral suspention,vet use only.in an anti/inflamitory/pain relief.it work well and the dogs do fine on it.i hope this is the case for your dog and nothing to serious.good luck and give a little tlc along with the meds.!!
Sureader
New Member!
Female 

10-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Thank you x
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Sureader View Post
Why would I want a different vet?? My vet is fantastic, have spoken to him via phone and he said to rest and he will see her on friday when he's back in surgery.
You didn't say you had spoken to your vet - I just thought that four days was a long time to wait for an appointment but if you are happy with that service then that's fine.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Your describing how my rottiex GSD was when she done her cruciate ligament. She was a great frisbee player too and the jumping, twisting and turning ruptured her cruciate. Because she was so hypo she would still run on it but limped only when she got up as she was such an adrenalin junkie.
It took a while till she had x-rays and was diagnosed because we thought it was just a strain and the vet perscibed anti inflamatrys and rest to start with.

My advice is get your GSD x-rayed, don't delay in getting a diagnosis.