Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 01:19 PM

Canine Health Concern

Just wondering if there are any other members on here (you should all be!) and if there are have you recieved the newest newsletter.
If you haven't I hope this doesn't alarm you.

It seems in the attempt to make us 'better dog owners' the RSPCA are looking to pass a bill to be able to prosecute owners who don't look after their animals and 'protect them from disease'. It potentially means people like myself who choose not to vaccinate because of the potential harm they cause, could face a fine or imprisonment, for not 'looking after my animals'. I would fight it to the death of course, and it is based on facts, not made up scare mongering. It would seem that the drug companies are using vets and doctors as PR companies, to sell their goods, based on this fact, lots and lots of money would be lost if the drug companies stopped making as much money, and the who ecomony woudl fail. It seems that we are doing a good deed by being ill, and keeping our pets ill.
Catherine O'Driscoll calls it 'ostrich-disease' (as in burying their heads in the sand). Anyone seen 'children of men' at the movies...it seems perhaps we are not far off such a world....
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 01:35 PM
For crying out loud, what next?

They should be chasing the people who DON'T look after thier animals at all

Why is it that the innocent parties get jumped on from a great height, yet the one's who don't look after thier animals correctly, get away with it
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 01:38 PM
yeah it pee'd me off at first too. The world is going insane, but it always comes down to money. It doesn't actually matter that there are people out there beating dogs or chaining them up for 3 years (my newest arrival), what matters is that money is made as whatever cost. I think the people at the top who make or try to pass these bills are probably not even dog lovers...
b-eye
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2006, 01:39 PM
ill second that ,, absolute rubbish ,, why cant they just leave us alone
huggles
b-eye
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Thats absolutely disgusting - we have never had a dog yet that we have had boostered year after year and all our dogs have lived till ripe old ages with the exception of my GSD who got anal furuncleosis so nothing to do with not boostering My sister has 2 dogs now at 10 1/2 years old and one at 12 and they have never been boostered either and they never have to go to the vets either

The RSPCA are pathetic if they go for this - it should be up to the individual owner to decide whether to booster or not

Wonder if the RSPCA will get a cut out of this somewhere
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 02:01 PM
I would think the simple answer really would be titre test for those who dont vaccinate or use non-mainstream vaccinations which would prove that the dogs are immunised and therefore not `health neglected` [ and would reassure owners anyway if they dont do `routine` vet source vaccs ].

As the info on less need for yearly, two yearly, three yearly and if correct, four yearly vaccs gets more well known, perhaps the concern is those who get the wrong idea and dont realise it doesnt mean all diseases are covered for years from puppy jabs ie short acting ones like Lepto, or think they dont need to vax at all in some form until a pup gets older - there will always be people who would think thats what it meant.

Proof of titre and therefore NOT over-vaccinating when immunities are good enough, and part boosting on low or no immunity elements only, is, to me, far more conciencious on the part of the owner.

When my old girl was alive, I was advised, [ by three vets at diffrent practises as I wanted to be absolutely sure I was getting good advice for her ], NOT to give her boosters because of her age and they felt she had enough immunity already [ no titres being done then to check ], so it was on her records that jabs had been advised against, and in any similar case the RSPCA would be pretty stupid to go against veterinary advice especially in cases where extra veterinary opinions were sought and given.

I would presume the PTBs would be sensible enough to acknowledge this, [ titre test results and vets advising against jabs for dogs which are likely or have already had serious adverse reactions ], but knowing beaurocracy in this country, maybe not...
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 02:56 PM
I have a great respect for canine health concern and don't booster myself - I'm wondering though if there is a real cause for concern? I'm not totally "au fait" with all the ins and outs of everything related to it.

I suspect it's referring to the current Animal Welfare Bill which is being debated in parliament and which has many different "parts" which are under discussion.

See:

http://www.publications.parliament.u...58/2006058.htm

If I've given the right link PDF file can be downloaded.

I am not overly concerned as my gut doesn't have any alarm bells ringing - I believe the RSPCA do need more power to their elbow (in a general sense that is) and don't think they would use it for chasing after pet owners who are in fact good owners. Or maybe I'm wrong...