Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 06:52 PM

mice! help!!

evening
this may sound stupid.....
just a quick bit of advice please(not strictly dog related)
i have new neighbours,cool.but they have brought mice,uncool
now,i could let my sibes deal with the problem(they are very effcient mouse killers)but its driving them insane,they are becomming obsessed!!!im not looking forward to the possible destruction when i get in (ive had to leave them for two hours whilst at work)what can i do??? defo not poison,and sorry mice lovers,humane traps are not practical and my cat is now 'over the bridge' any ideas?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 07:02 PM
When I had a mouse problem back when I kept and bred rats I found that a little of the rat poo placed in to the holes the mice were using put them right off.. No sensible mouse will enter a rats territory.. I had no further mouse problems though my neighbours still complained.. In the end I gave them some of my special 'mouse repellent pellets' and their problem went away as well...

Kismet deals with the mice here But I were to get a bad problem... don't know? I'd probably get another rat

There are electric repellents on the market, don't know if they work or not and certainly wouldn't work in the garden... Or... another cat?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
When I had a mouse problem back when I kept and bred rats I found that a little of the rat poo placed in to the holes the mice were using put them right off.. No sensible mouse will enter a rats territory.. I had no further mouse problems though my neighbours still complained.. In the end I gave them some of my special 'mouse repellent pellets' and their problem went away as well...

Kismet deals with the mice here But I were to get a bad problem... don't know? I'd probably get another rat

There are electric repellents on the market, don't know if they work or not and certainly wouldn't work in the garden... Or... another cat?
thanks magpye
but,cant find the holes,(i know the rat thing,im a v.n )
lobo and kaos usually sort out any critters,they got one but now they are obssesed to the max to find any more!!(you know what they can be like in hunt mode)
would love another cat,but as we have the pup i dont think my o/h would go for it right now!
and the electric repellants....welll i may as well squeek in a high pitched voice myself lol
im not being arkward on purpose ,i promise!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-07-2009, 07:15 PM
I had mice last year and no cat around anymore to despatch them and like you did not want poisons down because of Ollie and also could not deal with the thought of traps so looked up on the internet natural remedies and found somewhere recommended peppermint extract put it on some cotton wool balls and it did help they did leave my peas alone.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-07-2009, 08:29 PM
The electronic devices really do work!!! I had visitors a couple of years ago, got rid of them by poison and then used the electronic plug and not seen any since. OH also found he had them and we got one for him and no trouble or sightings since.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Do the electronic things not set off the dogs?

Tassle is terrible when she gets the scent of a mouse.....(oddly she is fine with the rats) so I know what you mean!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I had mice last year and no cat around anymore to despatch them and like you did not want poisons down because of Ollie and also could not deal with the thought of traps so looked up on the internet natural remedies and found somewhere recommended peppermint extract put it on some cotton wool balls and it did help they did leave my peas alone.
Make sure it's oil of peppermint and not peppermint essence If you want rat poo my lot will be happy to supply
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Mine are fine with it. Just had a litter of 7 pups in the house, plus mum and it didn't bother any of them.
Also had the stud staying with us for a week and he never noticed it either.