Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 09:17 AM

Are raw lentils poisonous?

I'm not thinking of feeding them to the dogs but my children like to play with them. Last time they did I noticed Tonks' poo had quite a few in. She didnt have any adverse reaction but she seems to have a pretty cast iron constitution.

No we have Remus I'm more concerned that he might try to eat more and that he is a bit more sensitive.

Obviously I'll keep them separate if needs be but it would be much easier if we could all be together....everyone would be happier.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2013, 09:28 AM
I have no idea about raw lentils, sorry, but I do now give Pereg some cooked lentils [both green and red] as I have discovered that she can cope with cooked whole grains and they help bulk out her raw food as I still have to watch her weight.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Ok thank you.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Lentils are pulses and from what I have read up, are not toxic to either humans or dogs if eaten raw, unlike red kidney beans which require 10 minutes hard boiling before cooking.

Some "studies" state that all dried pulses, which includes lentils, should be soaked for 24 hours and then boiled for 10 minutes before cooking, but then many "studies" can mostly be ignored, with the exception of red kidney beans.

And if a dog eats raw lentils or other pulses they probably pass through them and come out the other end as they went in!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Lentils are pulses and from what I have read up, are not toxic to either humans or dogs if eaten raw, unlike red kidney beans which require 10 minutes hard boiling before cooking.

Some "studies" state that all dried pulses, which includes lentils, should be soaked for 24 hours and then boiled for 10 minutes before cooking, but then many "studies" can mostly be ignored, with the exception of red kidney beans.

And if a dog eats raw lentils or other pulses they probably pass through them and come out the other end as they went in!
Thanks....I'll give it a go and check Remus doesn't just see it as a big meal to gulp down. This morning he has eaten a tea bag and I just caught him with a ginger beard........ Which was a tonne of my youngest daughters hair which she had cut off yesterday! He must have grabbed it when I got distracted and left the bin lid open! He didn't take much persuasion to drop it!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Yes I was going to mention red kidney beans. Malka already has. I think even humans have to be careful of those.

I put small lentils in all my soups (I love them) and Cypriots are big on lentils and pulses.

As Bella often has a small bowl of my veggie soup she obviously eats lentils (with no ill effect)