Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks Sweep and Christine - ugly little sods aren't they

Is there anything you can put on your dog to prevent them getting them in the first place?
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

05-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Apart from the usual frontline & stuff there are some essential oils you can mix to use as repellants.

I just check my lot everyday first thing in morning & last thing at night. Got it off pat now cos the little blighters usually, more often than not, go for the ears/neck area. Can also feel them as well.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Christine
Apart from the usual frontline & stuff there are some essential oils you can mix to use as repellants.

I just check my lot everyday first thing in morning & last thing at night. Got it off pat now cos the little blighters usually, more often than not, go for the ears/neck area. Can also feel them as well.
Don't think I could frontline Benji at the minute cos he is still on the Stronghold - did him again yesterday
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Christine

I have noticed they like to burrow in the armpits of the front legs aswell, i always have a look at Toby when we have had country walk. Does the frontline work well?
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 02:34 PM
hehe, been wanting to post these for ages, just remembered.... hope it doesn't make you sick...

like Christine said, get them off quick... A tick must feed for 2-3 days to infect a dog. I got 5 off mine in the last 2 days. I don't use Frontline at all anymore, it can kill the tick on the dog, which will NOT help the situation.... this transmits all it's blood into the host. Plus one of my rescues had a huge reaction to frontline, it's a poison, ''don't touch your dog for 24 hours'' yeah like i would use it on them, if it's poisoness to me!!!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 02:39 PM
hate them hate them hate them !!!

Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by jess
hehe, been wanting to post these for ages, just remembered.... hope it doesn't make you sick...

like Christine said, get them off quick... A tick must feed for 2-3 days to infect a dog. I got 5 off mine in the last 2 days. I don't use Frontline at all anymore, it can kill the tick on the dog, which will NOT help the situation.... this transmits all it's blood into the host. Plus one of my rescues had a huge reaction to frontline, it's a poison, ''don't touch your dog for 24 hours'' yeah like i would use it on them, if it's poisoness to me!!!
so is it best just to pick them off?
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-05-2006, 02:43 PM
get a tick remover and then you can just pull them off, otheriwse you risjk leaving the ehad and jaws behind.
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-05-2006, 02:44 PM
p.s. eucalytus oil owrks well to kill them too.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by ceiron
p.s. eucalytus oil owrks well to kill them too.

do you just dab that on?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >