Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2015, 05:46 PM

Are cats good company for dogs?

This is something I had been wondering for a while!

If you had a dog on their own and then got a kitten/cat, would they keep each other company or ignore each other?
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2015, 06:13 PM
It depends on the individuals, some dogs and cats can be best friends and seek each other out for cuddles and fuss, while others, well they fight like cat and dog... hehe or they completely ignore each other. It's hard to say.
The best thing to keep a dog company is a person or another dog. But again completely depends on their personality.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2015, 07:03 PM

These two are mine. Total besties. BUT, our other cat hates dogs even though she was raised with gentle dogs. She just doesn't like them. Our Jade, the other dog, was raised with cats and avoids them like the plague. SarahJade is correct, it all depends on the individual pet and living situation.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2015, 07:36 PM
I love seeing any animal friendships, so glad you shared some wonderful pictures of these best buds!
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Every dog is different, every cat is different. It's hard to tell how everyone will get along. In our house the cats were first. When we adopted Sophie she wasn't aggressive to the cats but thought they were fun to chase. After maybe a week of misting her with water every time she tried she got the idea not to do it anymore. Callie was easygoing from the beginning. Cats, other dogs, anyone is a potential buddy. Our male cats like to hang out with him.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Ben was raised with 2 cats. he thought he was a cat sometimes. as long as u have a bolt hole for the cats or cat to go to when they get fed up.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2015, 01:40 AM
My favorite is when I walk the dogs and the boy cats will run along right behind us. We stop traffic sometimes.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2015, 10:31 AM
I have 5 cats and 7 dogs. For the most part they get along. I do have one cat, Jack, who is really a dog at heart. Phoebe, my big girl, will chase a cat into the woods in a minute but she doesn't bother "her" cats and is very content lounging on the porch with them. I had all the dogs first, some for many years. All but one of the cats were brought here as kittens. I found that the dogs are very good with baby kittens and only exhibit a huge curiosity.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2015, 04:48 PM
One big warning however. Sophie is fear aggressive. She lived with our house cats for seven years. We even brought in 2 or 3 young cats along the way. But there were two kittens I brought in one day and she went off the deep end. Fortunately I got one of the kits safely out, but you have to use common sense...horrible thing to witness. All dogs aren't equally mellow about cats.
Jas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-05-2015, 03:55 PM
If we introduced a cat to our two lurchers it would last about 5 seconds. Some dogs see cats as prey, much the same as squirrels!