Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 03:06 PM

Is a 36" crate big enough...

for a HWV puppy? I realise it wouldn't be big enough for an adult but is it too small for a pup or would it be ok?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 03:09 PM
What's an HWV and I might be able to answer please??? Sorry, tried to work it out!
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Sorry, it's a Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla. They are slightly bigger than the smooth coated Vizsla's
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-04-2009, 03:12 PM
It would be ok for a while, I use one as a puppy crate for Dobermanns until they move on to a 48" then give them up entirely. Rio my female Dobermann somehow manages to fold herself up small enough to still squeeze into a 36" crate but it bulges at the seams quite literally. She always seems very pleased with herself that she's managed to squeeze in though
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks I was just intending to use it as a puppy crate initially and see how it went before deciding to make it a permanent fixture and getting a bigger one or not
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

28-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
Thanks I was just intending to use it as a puppy crate initially and see how it went before deciding to make it a permanent fixture and getting a bigger one or not
The thing is, if your buying it's obviously more cost effective to go for the size you ultimately expect them to use, but they feel more secure in a smaller space with a nice comfy cushion and a cover of some description over the crate to create a den if possible.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 03:30 PM
I actually have a 36" crate which I was given by someone when we got our kitten, I used it to introduce the kitten and our dog. So I have it already which is why I'd like to use it if I can and avoid buying a bigger one if I don't need to
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

28-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
I actually have a 36" crate which I was given by someone when we got our kitten, I used it to introduce the kitten and our dog. So I have it already which is why I'd like to use it if I can and avoid buying a bigger one if I don't need to
That's what I guessed really I had mine left from a previous dog, I never seem to throw anything away, it all just goes in the garage. It all comes in useful eventually