View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Travis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Wagg have just brought out a wheat/gluten free food,and Tesco have just brought out a new food called Nature,no arificial colours or additives
Travis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Meant to say I have to agree with you catsta,I worked for Tesco for over 20 year's,most of their own products are made by the big manufacturer's,the only company that doesn't make for anyone else is Kellogs,even down to Tesco own washing powder it's made by the big companies
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Our last dog was fed on Vitalin flakes and although he wasn't extatic over feeding time it seemed to suit. Maybe we try too hard to make dogs eat something that resembles human food - after all, in the wild they would presumably scavenge and eat a variety of herbage, dead things and whatever they could kill (a balanced diet?!)
charliegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2007, 06:40 PM
So whats grape pomace in the new nature food from tesco? If you cant give dogs grapes what is this stuff?
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
So whats grape pomace in the new nature food from tesco? If you cant give dogs grapes what is this stuff?
it is an antioxidant and is safe for dogs.
EDIT just read a bit more and it said it "can" cause illness.

Personally, i would therefore not use it.
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2007, 10:38 PM
There's a few things like that used in very small quantities and with supposed health benefits. Burns and some use seaweed, but I read somewhere that too much of that is problematical.
I guess natural antioxidants are probably better than artificial ones, but has anyone any proof?
I used to garden organically with pest control, then realised that even organic pesticides and fungicides can be highly toxic.
There has to be an element of trust between customer and manufacturer
Skyespirit86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2007, 12:09 AM
nellie-dean- you mention seaweed. I understand that seaweed is very high in iodine. But its what they make 'plaque off' from- a supplement which you give dogs and cats every day to clear their teeth of plaque. It's proven to work, has won recent awards and is said to be safe with pets (and people), so the amount they put in dog food I imagine must be quite small and unlikely to be problematical. Plaque off is administered sprinkled on food, which is increasing iodine intake a fair bit- and dogs with thyroid problems shouldn't take it, but normal dogs and cats are fine consuming it.
As for the Tesco's 'Nature' food. I've seen it, and looked at the ingredients. The first two ingredients if I remember rightly were cereals and wheat so it isn't really any different to any other food, except there's no additives. Wowee.
It's quite expensive too, for what it is. Tesco have hooked on to how to seduce the people into eco- friendly and healthy shopping, but they don't actually produce better food. They put it in brown, rusticly appealing paper bags and call it 'nature' food.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by Skyespirit86 View Post
nellie-dean- you mention seaweed. I understand that seaweed is very high in iodine. But its what they make 'plaque off' from- a supplement which you give dogs and cats every day to clear their teeth of plaque. It's proven to work, has won recent awards and is said to be safe with pets (and people), so the amount they put in dog food I imagine must be quite small and unlikely to be problematical. Plaque off is administered sprinkled on food, which is increasing iodine intake a fair bit- and dogs with thyroid problems shouldn't take it, but normal dogs and cats are fine consuming it.
Except my Defa - he had an allergic reaction to it and tried chewing himself to shreds
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2007, 10:53 AM
This whole 'natural' and 'holistic' fascination with pet food companies just seems to be playing off the back of the paranoia that's affected the human food industry - i.e. if there's money to be made out of it then you can be sure that there'll be a pet food to suit. I guess the next stage will be to include these so-called 'superfoods'.
I found this on a website for us gullible humans
'Imagine a superfood -- not a drug -- powerful enough to help you lower your cholesterol, reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer, and, for an added bonus, put you in a better mood. Did we mention that there are no side effects? You’d surely stock up on a lifetime supply. Guess what? These life-altering superfoods are available right now in your local supermarket.'
There are already pet foods with trace amounts of these things in - I'm sure I've seen some with ingredients like cranberries and spirulina (which apparently is eaten by flamingos to maintain their colour ????)
What happened to the notion of a simple diet? Why do marketing people think our pets need all this stuff? Or is it just that foods are getting so similar that this is the only way to differentiate one from t'other?
Travis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2007, 11:41 AM
I had never looked at the ingredients of this new dog food from Tesco,it's just hubby works for them and anything new on the shelves he tells me about,he has also mentioned that Tesco have taken Naturemenu off their shelves as nobody was buying it
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >